1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd image by mouse arrow

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by coleb10, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coleb10

coleb10 Thread Starter

Why is an image of a CD flasing off and on around my mouse arrow?

It is slowing down my start-up and etc...

2. Mr.Bungle

Mr.Bungle

take the cd out of your cd-drive.

3. Emtronics

Emtronics

Most likely because there is a CD in your ROM and that will slow down your boot. Your computer thinks it has a bootab;e CD, checks the drive and then doesn't. After Windows is up, autoplay takes over and senses the CD and it flashes....

4. coleb10

coleb10 Thread Starter

Good advice, but there is no CD in either drive.

However, before this started (today) I tried to burn a CD a few days ago and the bottom tray wouldnt open at all. Had to use a paperclip to open it. When I tried to proceed the screen told me to insert a CD even though there was already one in there.

5. coleb10

coleb10 Thread Starter

Bottom tray still doesnt open by itself.

6. coleb10

coleb10 Thread Starter

How do I get the CD image to stop appearing by the mouse arrow?

It has quadrupled my initial boot-up time when I power up and it never goes away the whole time I am working.

7. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Have you had a look in msconfig (start>run>msconfig) to see if there's anything trying to run causing the problem?

8. coleb10

coleb10 Thread Starter

Looney tunes, I looked in there but I am not familiar enough with this area to know what tab to look under or what to look for.

However, highlighted under the BOOTINI tab is the following:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"/fast detect

9. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

On the Startup tab, untick everything which isn't pointing toward any anti-virus/firewalls and broadband connections (it tells you where the file is pointing in the command header).
    Reboot and see if the problems persists.
    If it goes away, post all the files you unticked.

10. Emtronics

Emtronics

It sounds as if the drive (CR Rom) has gone bad and Windows isn't releasing it. Remove it from the Device Manager, and reboot. See if that stops it. If not, then you might have to open the tower, unplug the power cable and IDE ribbon. Then boot and see if you have the icon by your mouse. When ROMS go bad, this is one thing they do. If you try what I suggest first, then you can eliminate hardware and look to software. And..as always.....do a complete virus scan.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!