CD is not working but light is on and BIOS recognizes...??? what should I do?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bigbogeesh

Hi there extremely smart people ...I'm hoping you can help me ...

My CD/DVD rom drive just mysteriously stopped working some time ago....but everything I read led me to believe it was a driver issue - so I assumed it would be fixed during a re-format (XP Home). This PC is only a year and a half old...the only thing I haven't tried is switching out the actual drive - but again....because it has power and is communicating I'm guessing it's working...but I'm not doing something I need to do...

I have used all the boot disks in the world but I can't make my CD work. The power works (the light goes on) and the BIOS recognizes it and gives it a drive letter - but CD's cannot be read. What am I missing?

It doesn't help that I can't figure out how to use/get the 6 floppy disk boot set. The executible file just opens a 16 bit file that will not allow me to bypass the error that it's not a suitable file for windows so I can save it to the diskettes...again...where am I missing the boat?

I suppose it's important to add that this particular PC with the CD problem was so riddled with some level of adware/spyware and possibly viruses - that it simply stopped working all together which is why I can no longer procrastinate it. (sickening ...I know...) . Also important to note that this PC was never taken apart - so I know it's not a cable in the wrong way or anything....because it was working before. I did however just open it and make sure everything is in all the way - same results

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you boot with an MS-DOS floppy with CD support, and you still can't access a data CD, you need to address hardware issues. http://www.allbootdisks.com/ has a number of boot disk images you can create the proper bootable floppy disk to test with.

bigbogeesh

Thanks much JohnWill,

It did turn out to be the CDRW itself...replaced it and VWALLAH - it worked ;p Now I have a new problem I'm hoping you might have some insight to...

I reformatted my machine using the XP Home CD and everything started out lovely. I loaded all the basics and created a GHOST set of CD's for the future - still everything was lovely.

After using the machine for a few hours with no problems (but not memory intensive type stuff - mostly just searched the web) I loaded The SIMMS and tried to play it...and about halfway through the install my machine just died. I installed it again and and it went fine...HOWEVER - my machine is now intermittently just rebooting for no apparent reason - and when it comes back it states it's recovered from a serious error and I get this message from the Microsoft troubleshoot error page when I submit the error:
"The error was likely caused by an unrecoverable system hardware error. These errors are general in nature and can be caused by problems (such as overheating) with one or more of the following computer components:

Random Access Memory (RAM)
System board
Central Processing Unit (CPU)
Power supply
"
All that being said - how can I know which of these things it is? It seems to me that if there is a problem with the motherboard the computer wouldn't work at all...but truly I have no clue on how to figure out which one of these things it is.

Since then the machine has randomly rebooted itself from time to time and ALWAYS reboots within 1-5 min of trying to play The SIMMS...now I was thinking overheating...but all the fans are working...anything else I'm missing?

An easy way to tell if it is the particular game or not might be to just turn your computer on, leave it for around 1/2 hour or so to get warm, then do things other than that game. It it works after say an hour, it is likely not heat related. If you play the game it then it reboots after a few minutes, it might point to just a problem with the game.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online