1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd missing from device manager

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by janicehawley, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. janicehawley

janicehawley Thread Starter

a computer is running ME and was working fine, went to use the cd drive and it took the cd but would not work. went to device manager and the cd drive is not even listed and the primary and secondary are showing up in yellow.
    This is what i get when going into device manager:

primary/secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    device hard disk controller

Manufacturer Inte

Hardware verison Not available

devise status this device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installe. (Code 10)

2. qldit

qldit

Good Evening janicehawley, I have never seen that problem with ME so can only make a few general suggestions.

Have you tried going into the system restore program and restoring to an earlier time, like previous to that problem happening.
    This may be best done from a safe-mode screen.
    To get to safemode hit F8 during boot and then select it.
    This will avoid all the preipheral stuff that might normally be running affecting the process.

See what happens if there is a bootable disk in the CDROM (like a windows install disk) when the machine is switched on.
    This is a different circumstance to that when Windows is running.
    The idea here is to see if the CDROM is detected and read initially.
    Don't let anything be loaded to the drive if you do this, it is just a quick check to see if the drive is read.

Would you suspect you may have a viral problem, do you have a current good quality A/V system on that machine.

Was there any odd symptoms prior to this problem, like "Blue problem screens" or odd crashes. (more than usual)
    qldit.

3. janicehawley

i have a freeware anti virus from Grisoft and i also have adaware from lavasoft on this comptuer. i have put a cd in the drive and restarted the computer it doesn't do anything, doesn't recognize that there is anything in it. Its almost like it lost the cd drive, up it is there physically, just not regerstring it as beening there. no crashes or the computer locking up. and at the time it stopped i did a restore and it didnt work

4. Chris A

Chris A

Sounds like the drive is dead. Or it became disconected some how. Does the drive light up any flashes during boot up or installing a cd? can you hear it spin? Put the cd in one way and see if it has turned when you open it.

5. qldit

qldit

Good Afternoon janicehawley, usually machines are set to boot from floppy, CDROM then the hard drive.
    The reasoning behind this is that if a bootable floppy or a bootable CD is in those drives the machine will boot to it before the hard drive.

Of course having bootable material in those drives is not normal so the machine looks at those drives and then passes to the hard drive.

I suspect your CDROM has died, or the ribbon cable (data line) to it has a problem, this would explain your missing CDROM, but to be sure, you really need to check the boot priority was set to an order similar as mentioned.

Have you entered the BIOS area previously and do you understand how the settings there are applied to control the machine?
    This is the area that is entered by hitting delete or a key combination to enter as it is about to begin it's boot cycle.

As a matter of interest has the clock been keeping good time recently?
    If not it may be indicative of the battery having low voltage which may explain what might have happened.

The mother board battery should be replaced every couple of years to ensure settings are retained.
    Does this make sense to you?
    qldit.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can give this a try.

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with the following stuff in it exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- cut after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
    ------------------------------ cut before this line --------------------------------

7. janicehawley

I have switched out the cd rom with a different one that i now works and the same thing happens, it lights up and can hear it spin but nothing. i have checked the BIOS and the cd rom is not listed in there. the clock keeps time

8. Chris A

Chris A

Ok is the new drive on the same cable as the hard drive? Did you have to change jumpers on the drive?

If it has it's own cable it needs to be set as master. If it is on the same cable as the hard drive it needs to be set as slave or cable select.

Have you tried updating the drivers through windows update or simply deleting the drivers and let windows re discover them? I am not sure how well the deleting works in ME though.

9. janicehawley

thanks everyone for your help, my boyfriend just took it to the shop and windows me is the problem, keeps kicking the ide drives off, wont keep it so he is just going to take the stuff off and reformat the drive...thanks again!!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/462553

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice