1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD/MP3 Player+Choice+CDRW disk+Which can read open CDR/RWs?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jonasdatum, Dec 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonasdatum

jonasdatum Thread Starter

Hello.

First off let me say in advance that I am not sure whether on not this post goes into this section. I believed so...

I am in the market for a CD/MP3 player. The particular models I am looking at are:

:) RIO VOLT SP90 PORTABLE DIGITAL AUDIO CD PLAYER EA

:) Philips EXP103 eXpanium Portable MP3/CD Player

MP3 BASED CD PLAYER W/ HEADSET FOR AUDIO CD S/10HR MP3 S ON A CDR

Can any of these read open CDRWs?
    Which ones do you recommend?

TY for the Help!

2. Rockn

Rockn

What do you mean by open CD-RW's? Open session? Only the ones with physical CD players will play burned audio CD's. The standard CD players will play any burned audio CD....are you talking about just copying MP3's directly to a CD?

3. slipe

slipe

If you are referring to packet writing where you format the RW so you can drag/paste in Windows the answer is definitely “not a chance”. Other computers won’t even read them without a UDF reader.

Ausio CDs written with mastering software have to be closed to be read by an audio CD player.

With MP3 files written with mastering software (no format) you might have a chance if you close the session but leave the disc open. Not sure how the players would handle that.

4. jonasdatum

Thanks For the Replies people!

I want the session closed, but I want the CD open. As far as I know this configureation is good with CDRWs (I know because I write CDRWs all the time for backup). But I don't know if I can do this with CDRs.

I have a quote to what the help file says below:

(Easy CD Creator 4.05 Help file. Taken from help botton of images)>
    Close Session and Leave CD Open: Click this option to close the session so that audio tracks (if in the first session) can be played back in home or car CD players. This option is the default option and is applicable for most CD recording purposes. Because the CD remains open, you can continue to record additional sessions to the CD until it is full.

Close CD: Click this option to write-protect the CD. When this option is selected, no more data can be recorded to the CD.

So in reidoration. I want a "Audio/CDR/RW disk player" that can read a Open CDRW (Open CDR to if that is possible). Either amungst players mentioned or some I haven't mentioned that are $100 or less which (if any) of them can do this?

Attached Files:

5. slipe

slipe

Audio CD players will only read the first session. You can put as many as you want after that and it will still read only one.

From the Prassi manual:

“CD Extra is another way of putting data and audio tracks on the same disc, but has a
    distinct advantage over Mixed Mode discs. CD Extra is a “Multi-session” disc with the
    audio tracks in the first session, and the data track in the second session. The advantage?
    Consumer CD players like car decks and portable stereos will only recognize the
    first session on a disc
    , so there is never a chance that the player will try and play the
    data track as sometimes happens with Mixed Mode discs.”

Multi-session might work for the MP3 files recorded as data, but I wouldn’t even bet on that. They are entertainment players and might well just look for the first session as well.

You will do better in any case with CDR as they have a 60% reflectivity compared to 15% for RW.

6. jonasdatum

Hello. TY for the reply.

So what you are saying is.... Will the CD/MP3 player will not play open CDs? I have to use CLOSED CDRWs?

Please clarify this?

7. slipe

slipe

You keep moving back between audio CDs and MP3 CDs and I can’t keep up. They are completely different things. You copy the MP3s to the CD as data and the player decodes them. You can get almost 10 times the music on a CD with MP3. Audio CDs are recorded in wave. If your source is MP3 software has to convert it to wave. If the source is an audio CD it can just copy it.

No reason to use RW at all. I’m not sure how else I can say it. An audio player will not see a session which hasn’t been closed. If you put more sessions on the CD, audio players will still see only the first one and not play the rest. You might as well just close out the CD and start with another one as it is a waste of your time to add more sessions the player can’t see.

I don’t know about MP3s recorded as data and played in an MP3 player. I would doubt that they will read multi-sessions either, but they might. They will certainly not read a session which has not been closed.

Closing the session or closing the disc records a table of contents (TOC) that the player needs to read the CD. That means ANY player.

Recording with mastering software the only difference between CDR and RW is that you can erase the entire RW disc and start over. You can’t erase individual parts unless you use packet writing software and there is absolutely no chance that any entertainment player is going to read packet writing – other computers won’t even read it without a special reader.

8. jonasdatum

Hello.

I am not advertantly trying to jump between them. I don't how that seems to be, I have gone over my post. All I ever wanted to know is this....

"Can I buy a portable CD player that can play MP3s on a CDRW disk, but also play a disk that is open?"

From what I gather from the last reply the anr is aparently,.... no.

TY. Any more input.

9. jonasdatum

Hello.

Bet some of you guys thought I would get the direct anr to this??! Anyways, I recently purchased a Audio CD/MP3 player. It works great. The anr appears to be in most (if not all cases) yes CD/MP3 players can play open CDRW disks.

Here is the site that built my prefered product:

http://sonicblue.com thats www.sonicblue.com

Technology rocks baby!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61102

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice