1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd not computing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Tmiester, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tmiester

Tmiester Thread Starter

I have windows 98 on an Etower 333k 3.2 gb drive and a 24max cd rom. My problem is that I have installed diablo 2 single player only this is the minimum install. I somtimes have a problem getting the game start It freeze up and stops and other times if I wait long enough then I can play.
    I have fix the cd rom once for a gear on the drive motor for the eye but its like it reads the cd but the computer doesn't respond right away if I wait then it will sometimes will continue and then other times it just stops like a broken recorder.
    I have scanned disk an defraged but it don't last long.
    :confused:

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Just get a new DROM, they're only $50.

3. Tmiester

Tmiester Thread Starter

Yeah that would be easy but music cd work just fine so why don't the game work fine

4. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

Games are a lot more intense than music CD's.
    Have you tried reducing the Read ahead? Go to System Properties>Performance>File System>CDROM TAB

Play with that and see if it helps. Also, Is DMA enabled or disabled? Is it supported. Turn it off, or on. Turn off auto insert notification. Does this particular disk work ok in another machine? Is it the disk or the drive?
    TRy adjusting all the settings and keeping track of the results. Note the original settings so you can put them back if they are of no help.

How are your resources? Turn off all background applications and see if that helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice