cd not computing

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tmiester

I have windows 98 on an Etower 333k 3.2 gb drive and a 24max cd rom. My problem is that I have installed diablo 2 single player only this is the minimum install. I somtimes have a problem getting the game start It freeze up and stops and other times if I wait long enough then I can play.
I have fix the cd rom once for a gear on the drive motor for the eye but its like it reads the cd but the computer doesn't respond right away if I wait then it will sometimes will continue and then other times it just stops like a broken recorder.
I have scanned disk an defraged but it don't last long.
:confused:

Tmiester

Yeah that would be easy but music cd work just fine so why don't the game work fine

Games are a lot more intense than music CD's.
Have you tried reducing the Read ahead? Go to System Properties>Performance>File System>CDROM TAB

Play with that and see if it helps. Also, Is DMA enabled or disabled? Is it supported. Turn it off, or on. Turn off auto insert notification. Does this particular disk work ok in another machine? Is it the disk or the drive?
TRy adjusting all the settings and keeping track of the results. Note the original settings so you can put them back if they are of no help.

How are your resources? Turn off all background applications and see if that helps.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online