1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD not recognized - No drivers installed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sprstock, Nov 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sprstock

sprstock Thread Starter

Hi-

I built a computer using an Asus P5B Deluxe WiFi motherboard, Intel E6600 CPU, 2 x 1GB DDR2 PC2-6400 Corsair RAM, 4 Maxtor 300 GB SATA hard drives in a RAID 5 array, nVidia Quadro 560 video card and a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card. It has a floppy drive, a Sony DVD-RW and a TDK DVD-RW, all IDE not SATA. The RAID is partitioned into both primary and extended partitions, the latter having logical drives. I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

I have some legacy software that runs on older Windows platforms, the latest, Windows 98 SE. In order to use this software I installed Microsoft Virtual Machine and created another logical drive and did a FAT32 format. I have been trying to install 98 for a number of days now and have run into a wall.

Upon booting with the 98 SE floppy boot disk and selecting the install choice "with CD drivers," it starts loading. One of the first items it attempts to install is the Atapi CD drivers. I get a message saying no CD can be found and it aborts that part of the install and goes on to the point at which I get a message saying CD driver MSCD001 not installed, and the procedure ceases at that point with an A:\ prompt.

I went to a different site and downloaded another set of boot disk files and had the same result.

I felt maybe the drives were too modern (DVD vs. CD) for the drivers so pulled a CD-RW from an old computer running Windows 2000 Pro and installed it in the new computer, pulling the TDK to do so. The Sony was set to Master and the CD to Slave (TDK had been running as Slave previously).

I did all the checks, power supply, IDE cable connected both ends, pins and plug lined up, no. 1 to no. 1.

I started the computer in XP, went to BIOS settings and both drives were listed, I went into a normal boot and everything was fine and in the device manager both were listed and had drivers.

I rebooted off the floppy and got the same messages, no CD, no drivers installed.

For some reason it is not recognizing the CD and then installing the drivers from the boot disk.

Can you think of a solution to installing the drivers?

Barring that, since I am trying to install to a virtual drive, is there a way to use the XP system, which recognizes my drives and has drivers, to install 98 SE to the logical drive? I am somewhat hesitant try to do a direct install since 98 is set to install as the primary OS. I don't want to lose XP and what I have on the computer now in a botched attempt.

Thanks.
    Scott

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Its been quite a while since I installed a virtual machine (also 98se) so I'm not exactly sure but I definitely did not try installing from a boot floppy.

As I recall, from within Window VM I was able to set a folder (partition) and then start the installation directly from the Cd. It sounds like you have the logical drive ready and I think you must install from within WVM or it will mess up your real installation.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice