1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd player focus error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moebius, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moebius

moebius Thread Starter

guess whos back?

i like the website's new design.

i have a portable multi format [audiocd/mp3/wma/asf] cd player. it started acting up recently, it was't reading some cds. i ran a cheap 5$ lens cleaner on it, and now it hardly reads anything i've burned on my cd writer. these cds are working on everything else. it will read original mastered cds, but not stuff iv'e burnt off iTunes or compilations.

it was giving me an error code [09f] which the manual says is a focusing error. is my lens dead? can i fix this or get it fixed?

2. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

I don't mess with those things, but from what I understand if the lens is off then it's best to get yourself another drive because those components are so delicate. Did you do an overburn on that drive at any time? I heard those can throw off the optics.

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Firstly, I have never seen a case where "cleaning" the laser lens actually worked, the symptoms have always been that of a dying laser.

Secondly, I would never use a cleaning disc with the small brushes on it, the tracking mechanics are incredibly fragile in the laser assembly, so it is quite probable that they have been instrumental in hastening the demise. Failing to read burned CD's is always the sign of a laser losing output power, in my experience.

As for repair, its unlikely. If anyone had the sophisticated and expensive alignment equipment and the laser assemblies, the costs of performing a repair and realignment would probably be several times the cost of a new unit.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/486955

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice