1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd player please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dred, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dred

dred Thread Starter

i have no idea why but my computer decided to stop recognizing my cd-rom drive. i am using windows XP. i tried to use a start up disk i had and it wouldnt recognize it either. it definatly works because i put the disk in and it spins around inside the player just dosent reconize it. can someone please tell me what to do

2. monted

monted

is auto-play enabled?
    can you open or play the disk by going to >>>>C:/"cd drive"/right-click your cd drive & choose "open" or "play">?

3. dred

dred Thread Starter

i have my hard drives c: and d: I use my burner as a player it was assigned drive e: The drive has dissapeared. if i could right click it i would. even at start up for my IDE it only recognizes the hard drives. i tried to use a start up disk and that cd rom file i forgot what it was called that oakroot something or other was corrupted. i been looking how to make a start up disk in XP and cant find it anywhere in here. I have never seen anyting like this before.

4. monted

monted

is it listed in device manager? If it is you could right-click on it & choose uninstall, then reboot & Maybe it will install itself.
    there is no " startup disk"

To create an MS-DOS startup disk
    The MS-DOS startup disk you create will allow you to boot into MS-DOS.

Insert a floppy disk into your computer's floppy drive.
    Open My Computer, and then click the floppy disk drive to select it.
    On the File menu, point to the name of the floppy drive, and then click Format.
    Under Format options, click Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
    Click Start.
    Important

Creating an MS-DOS startup disk erases all information on the floppy disk.
    Notes

To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
    The MS-DOS startup disk only allows the system to boot into an MS-DOS prompt. The disk contains no additional tools.