1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD problem Read Only

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by burmard, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. burmard

burmard Thread Starter

I copy files to a CD but I am getting Read Only. This is so incovenient for me that I can not save more data. That is, if I work on the document once it is saved, when I get ready to save, I get the Read Only message. Can anyone tell me what to do? One night I was on the phone with a Dell tech and he told me what to do, but I did not write down his instructions. Thanks in advance for any information you can give.

2. Dre0745

Dre0745

Get a CD-RW :D , thats gonna let u add stuff after u wrote the cd, or change... make sure ur cd burner supports CD-RW... i guess it will... later

Dre0745

3. theporg

theporg

burmard
    Your post is a bit confusing on your actual problem. Assuming that you have copied your data files etc to CD and wish to re-use them having copied them back to your machine. Right click on the document go to properties and check to see if the read only box is ticked. If it is remove it.

You do not need a CD-RW to copy to a disk several times. Most of the leading software manufacturers have software that allows an ordinary CD to be used much as a floppy. The main thing being once it is full then you have to start another.

4. Dre0745

Dre0745

Good to know :D (y) , thanks for the correction :) and sorry for the mistake :rolleyes: :D

Dre0745

5. burmard

burmard Thread Starter

thank you. will try this.
    burmard

6. deubanks

deubanks

If you have your software set to finalize the disk when you eject it, you will not be able to modify the file and resave it to the same disk. Once it is finalized, you cannot save anything to it again. You have to leave it open and then you can change things and resave them and add other files to the disk until it is full.

7. burmard

burmard Thread Starter

What do you mean when you say, "finalize the disk"? Sorry, I am not a computer language person. What I do is save the data to the disk, then when I go back and try to work on the same file and try to save that data , I can not because it says, "Read Only File". Thanks to this service, I have received a couple of solutions which I plan to try today. Thanks to all.
    burmard

8. deubanks

deubanks

I use Roxio CD Creator and it gives me the option to finalize, or close out, the disk when I eject it so that it can be read by other CD readers or recorders . If I use that option, I get the same results that you describe. If you want to add more info or modify anything and save it to the same disk, if you eject it you have to check the option to leave the disk as is. I do not know how other software works.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice