CD problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

mkdsk

Mark
Hello, I am trying to get a cd I made onto my hard drive but when I put in the CD in and I click on open to view the files this is what it looks like. (Look at picture enclosed) All the files are 1k which is impossible and when I go to transfer them to my HD they do not transfer. What is going on?

Attachments

cwwozniak

Chuck
I moved your thread from the Virus and Malware forum as this problem is not virus or malware related.

You cannot directly copy the audio data from an audio CD to your hard drive. An audio CD does not contain individual audio files. All of the audio is encoded as a sequence of data bits in one long spiral track on the disc. The disc contains information on where each audio track starts in the sequence. MS-Windows Windows Explorer reads the disc and creates temporary 1 KB files that contain this information.

You need to use suitable software to convert the correct portion of the sequential audio data on the CD into a file format (MP3, M4A, FLAC, WAV, etc.) that can be saved on the hard drive. This conversion process is often called Ripping the CD.

mkdsk

Mark
I have been ripping CDs to my hard drive for years but for two days now I have not been able to change the location that they were to be ripped to and come to find out that the last time I ripped a cd I had the location set to go to my older external hard drive. When I went to rip another cd I could not change my location setting until I plugged in my older external hard drive in the I was able to change it.

cwwozniak

Chuck
It sounds like you figured out how to get the CD contents saved on your HD by ripping them.

Let us know if you want help with changing the destination location when ripping files and the current location is not available. We would need to know what operating system is running on your computer and what program, including version number, you are using for ripping.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online