1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-R burning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sharky, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

CD-R are not writeable(of course,otherwise they would be a CD-RW)

Question on CD-R
    ---does this mean once you burn them,regardless if you used all the space on the CD-R or not ,one can not burn them any longer?

in other words,i burned only one song on a CD-R,played it,......then reinserted the CD-R to burn more...would not burn.

QUESTION 2

It is possible to record videosomewhat on a CD-R?

2. Sponsor

3. Foamer

Foamer Guest

Hi sharky... <BR><BR>
    Answer---<BR>Once a CD-R is burned it can't have another file (song) added. A CD-R burns a file directory to define what type of CD... the location and type of files. So regardless of the amount of data on a CD (or lack of)... Once a CD is made.... it's permanent.<BR><BR>
    Answer...<BR>Yes... it's called a video CD. The resolution is about half of that of a DVD and up to 70 minutes of video can be stored.<BR>This link will give more info on video CD's:<BR>http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2496/vcdfaq.html

4. sharky

sharky Thread Starter

thanks foamer

i went through a pack of CD-R's,burning just 1 or 2 files before i realized what you told me now:eek:ne a CD-R is burned,nothing can be added

5. dai

dai

you have to close the session when you have finished burning to be able to put more on the disk
    i do backups of important stuff every week and just keep plonking it on until i don't have enough room

6. Svenmonkey

Svenmonkey

You can add things to CD-Rs after they've been burned once as long as it's a data CD not a music CD. Music CDs have to be "finalized" (ending their writability) in order to be played in CD players. "Data" CDs that just store files and are unreadable by devices other than computers with the same or similar OS can be written unlimited times as long as there is still space on the CD.

I hope that made sense.

7. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

Cd-r's can be added to and files can be removed as well - although you dont; get the space back. A CD-R can be formated just like a CD-RW with InCd or DirectCD to allow drag and drop and the ability to save files directly to the CD. You can also use EzCD and Nero to write to Cd-r's without cosing the disk/track or session which allows you to add to the cd as well

8. slipe

slipe

InCD writes to RW only – you can’t format a CDR with it. You can’t remove files from a CDR with Nero/InCD.

The normal way to be able to add data is to set up for multi-session. With a session closed a CD can be read in any PC with a CD reader or writer. This is true for audio as well as data. With either one you can add more sessions which can also be read by the computer, but most entertainment players will see only the first session of an audio CD. So if you are recording an audio CD to play in you car or stereo you might as well close the CD.

You have to set up for multi-session when you write the first session because it has to write a lead-in for the next session. You can’t decide after the fact that you want a multi-session CD. EZCD knows to write the lead-in if you close the session but not the CD. Nero has to be told it will be a multi-session CD from the start.

If you leave the CD completely open it can be read only in the burner.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Rob Moderator

InCD only does CD-RW? I didn't know that. I've almost always used EzCD and DirectCD and they allow that, its a surprise theat Nero/InCD doesn't. Learn something new everyday - its too bad I forget so much more :)

10. slipe

slipe

I know what you mean! I don’t think it is going to get any better as time passes either.

Adaptec wrote the first packet writing back when RW wasn’t on the market yet and called the format UDF. When RW came out they wrote a completely different system to use that, but still called it UDF. By the time the others came along RW was standard in a burner and they didn’t bother to write the extra code for CDR – a completely different system actually. Roxio continued with the CDR packet writing after they took over EZCD and DirectCD from Adaptec. It is the only common packet writing program that writes to CDR.

Packet writing to CDR is a good deal. It is just as secure as multi-session with mastering software and takes only 7Mb/session for housekeeping rather than 15Mb/session for mastering software. You can close the CD so it can be read in any computer and you have the convenience of the drag/paste in Windows Explorer.

11. dolemn

dolemn

Hi all!

What I don't get, is that on a multi session cd, windows won't show the previous files burnt, only the latest session. If I start Nero, and check the disc, it shows all sessions, but I can't "extract" all files from the cd. Anyone had this problem? :confused:

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/142659