1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-R Drive--can't copy folders to cd-r

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CosmosGirl, Feb 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CosmosGirl

CosmosGirl Thread Starter

Went through and individually highlighted folders (containing pictures) to be copied onto cd-r...then clicked on "copy these folders"...everytime the message comes up that there is no disc. I take the disc out( brand new disc), put it back in...same message. I have even tried dvd drive. Nothing. Any suggestions? Want to back things up but don't seem to be able. I read on microsoft.com there is a Backup with Win XP--my understanding it's on the win xp cd...and you have to install it...could've misunderstood...because I tried that and come up with nothing. Input please.... :)

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

Just to clarify.
    Is it a cd-r you are wrighting to or cd-rw.

3. CosmosGirl

CD-R multi-speed, 700mb

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Right-click your CD writer in My Computer and look under the Recording tab to be sure recording is enabled.

Then, use the selection rectangle to choose the folders you want to burn and then right-click them and "Send To..." your CD writer drive.

Burning pictures has nothing to do with XP's backup.

If that doesn't work, be sure that your IMAPI service is enabled.

5. CosmosGirl

Recording in enabled. Under the same tab "recording", the disk listed is Local Disk C...but my cd drive is E...Make a difference? I retried selecting and "send to"...I get the same message as before..."no disc...please insert disc"....What and where do I find IMAPI...I'll take a look in the meantime. Thanks for your time, always..

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

That reference to C: is just the location of the temporary image file. That's OK.

Open Control Panel, Admin Tools, Services. Double-click IMAPI and be sure it is set to Manual. Then click Start to see if it will run.

Try another CD, too.

Also, open Device Manager and see if it shows any hardware problems.

Is this Home or Pro and do you have Administrative privileges?

7. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Do you have a CD burner installed? I ask because you said you also tried using your DVD drive which won't work unless it's a DVD burner. Do you also have a DVD burner installed?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Good question, but if there was a Recording tab, it was a burner.

Different media may make a difference, too. Some burners just don't like some brands. And a CD-ROM cleaner wouldn't hurt.

9. CosmosGirl

thank you for the replies...My IMAPI was set to manual. I clicked "start" and it ran. I don't have a dvd burner...I was just grabbing at straws. I have Win XP and a cd burner. I cleaned both drives prior to all this twice (prior as in before and in between posts). My device manager shows no problems and I am the administrator. I tried 5 blank cd's but havent had a chance to try a different brand.

10. axemall

axemall

what brand cd recorder and what brand disks also can you burn with cd recording software like nero or roxio sometimes roxio will format blank cd automatically to work with drag to disk windows may not recognize it

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/332908

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice