1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-R formatting question

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrcoons, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

I have a huge download to do (380MB) and currently still only have 56K Dial-up. So I downloaded my large downloads at work.
    My workstation at work is XP Pro and has a CD burner in it but it does not have Roxio or Nero installed. So I cannot find any way to format a blank CD on my workstation, so that I can write the downloads out.
    I formated a CD at home using Roxio but my workstation could not write to it. How can I format a CD-R that my work PC can write to?

2. Krall

Krall

If you format your CD at home using roxio so that you can drag and drop files to it in explorer, you need roxio on the machine at work to recoginze the disk'd formating and close it when you want. Are you able to install roxio at work? It would be best if you could take your roxio cd to work, install it, burn your cd, then remove roxio.

3. slipe

slipe

There is no need to format a CD to write the files to it. Drag the file you want to write to the drive in windows explorer and the XP writing software should open to ask what you want to do as long as the CD is not formatted. If it doesnÂ’t, right click on the drive and enable recording in the recording tab.

You can write to an unformatted CD using your Roxio at home as well. Open EZ CD Creator and just record. It is DirectCD that requires a formatted CD.

4. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

No I cannot install Roxio at work, that they might catch me on.

I'll try what you suggested Slipe, Thanks.

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You don't format CD-R media, only CD-RW media for packet writing. You only get to write to CD-R media once, and you don't want that to be a format! :D

6. Sambrook

Sambrook

You don't format CD-R media, only CD-RW media for packet writing. You only get to write to CD-R media once, and you don't want that to be a format!

That's not quite right. You can format CD-R discs and it works much like a CD-RW for drag and drop. You just can't erase it after. You can delete a file on it but it won't free up any space, it will just take it out of the TOC. It a nice way to use CD-R's when you only want to write a few files at a time.

I am amazed at how many people say they don't use packet writing on CD-RW. What do you do if you need to move one file that is too big for a floppy? Write to a CD-R and waste the whole CD? No matter how inexpensive CD-R's are, it is a real waste. We use it constantly to move files from one computer to another, then just erase the files and you have a blank CD RW.

This is my first post here, so I hope I did it right.

7. mrcoons

mrcoons Thread Starter

You did just fine Sambrook. Thanks for the information.

Mark

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You get one bite at the apple with CD-R media, and you don't format it before the write pass.

Using the typical UDF writing software, you do what is called a format, but it only writes an ID block that tells the world that this is a UDF formatted disk, the space where the data will be recorded is left untouched.

Despite being an easy way to use a recorder, packet writing suffers in terms of reliability.

First of all, a UDF formatted CD needs a proper driver in order to read it on another system. Since there are so many programs for packet writing, there is an equal number of drivers which must be installed in order to read a CD written with packet writing. Even different versions of the same packet writing software may not be compatible with each other. This means that, till finalizing to ISO, a CD used with packet writing is not suitable for long term storage.

Even worse, till finalizing to ISO all data on the CD are prone to loss. The reason for this is that if, for any reason, the writing process at one point fails, all data will be inaccessible. Often you can retrieve data using proper data recovery software, but there are cases where the CD won't even be recognized by any drive.

Such incidents are not rare. On the contrary, it is only a matter of time for users of packet writing to experience such failures, which are inherent to the nature of packet writing.

Though packet writing sounds appealing and many people find it the ideal way to use their recorder, the serious drawback of lower reliability cannot be overlooked. It is strongly advised to avoid using packet writing for sensitive data you can't afford to lose!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice