CD-R reading slow

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

griffinspc

Ok, CD-R and CD-RW gurus.

I have a generic 44x CD-R with the latest ATPI / MS Drivers and an ACER 12x8x32 CD-RW using the latest Acer drivers.

All is OK as far as device manager and connections and output from the Sound Blaster and the drive in question does work, just slowly.

The CD-R is Master and the CD-RW is slave on the same secondary cable, drives I and J respectively.

Recently my CD-R, which is supposed to be 44X read, is running at a max for Data of approximately 12X and Audio at up to approximately, 20x.

My CD-RW, is fine. In fact reading a little above specs.

I tested with Nero's config and test app and a downloaded app and both show the same results.

1.2 Athlon, 256 MB 133, plenty of head room and the machine runs beautifully. Win98SE.

Question: Can a working CD-R gradually begin to read at a slower pace, possibly do to dirty lens or mechanical spin problems? Has anyone experienced this?

I have a 33X in another machine I can pull and test but I really don't want to tear up 2 machines right now.

griff

Is the CD-R you are referring to a CD-ROM drive? Odd that it will read audio faster than data. 20X is decent for digital audio extraction.

Might you possibly be judging it on just one CD? A CD with lots of small files can read slowly -–but most test programs will ask for another CD if it wants to check large files. Does your burner read the data CD at 32X?

Can you select DMA in Device Manager?

Is this the other program you tried? http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=cdspeed.html They also have the latest Nero Speed there.

If you have a Via chipset do you have the latest 4 in 1 drivers from Via?

I’m obviously grabbing at straws. There is no reason I can think of that your drive would be doing a credible job of audio extraction but read data CDs slowly.

griffinspc

Morn'n slipe. Lots of good questions, here goes;
Originally posted by slipe:
Is the CD-R you are referring to a CD-ROM drive? YES

Odd that it will read audio faster than data. 20X is decent for digital audio extraction.

Might you possibly be judging it on just one CD? NO I TRIED AT LEAST 3 FROM A SMALL COLLECTION OF FILES TO A INSTALLATION DATA CD WITH OVER 600MB's.

A CD with lots of small files can read slowly -–but most test programs will ask for another CD if it wants to check large files. Does your burner read the data CD at 32X? NO, IT RISES GRADUALLY AS IT SHOULD TO ABOUT 28, THE CD-R FLAT LINES.

Can you select DMA in Device Manager? BOTH ARE SELECTED AND I TRIED WITHOUT WITH THE SAME RESULT FOR THE CD-R.

Is this the other program you tried? http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=cdspeed.html They also have the latest Nero Speed there. NO, BUT I'LL DL IT AND TRY IT. i HAVE THE LATEST NERO SPEED TEST APP.

If you have a Via chipset do you have the latest 4 in 1 drivers from Via? YES AND YES

I’m obviously grabbing at straws. There is no reason I can think of that your drive would be doing a credible job of audio extraction but read data CDs slowly. YES AND NO, THE AUDIO BEFORE WAS DEFINITLY FASTER BUT THIS DATA IS RIDICULOUS.
Thanks for the input and link.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online