CD-R/RW DRIVE won't read

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jawwzs

my LG CD-R drive no longer recognize a disc in the drive. Is there any remedy for this? its a cheap drive. I e-mailed the company, got no reply so far. Did I get what I paid for?

You probably aren’t going to get much help from LG unless you provided them with some details.

Does the drive show in Windows Explorer? Device manager?

Does your recording software see the burner?

What happens when you try to record?

Will the drive not see factory pressed program and audio CDs?

Does it spin up when you insert a factory pressed CD?

Are you getting a “Drive not ready” message after it spins up and you try to access the CD?

jawwzs

yes i get that "not ready" message. it won't recognize any disc, not even a regular audio cd. I was trying to extract songs from a cd. it worked before.

thanks for your helping

jawwzs

Also, sometimes (like now for instance) it says "no audio files in this folder" where it suppose to display disc contents. it sees the burner. I can open my driver and see the music files but, they won't show up in the files display area

Are you having problems only when your CD writing software is open?

If you close all programs and are looking at the desktop, can you insert a factory pressed CD like a program and read it?

What writing software are you using? Version (Help>About)? Have you updated it?

jawwzs

no, it still won't read when other programs are closed. i'm using easy cd creater 4. I have'nt tried updating. I tried music match also, still won't recognize any cd

Go to device manager (right click My Computer>Properties). Double left click on the CD-ROM line. Highlight your LG burner. Select “Remove” at the bottom of the page and OK. Reboot and Windows will reinstall the burner with new drivers.

The latest is EZCD version 4.05. It is a good idea to upgrade that as well as the firmware for your LG.

http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/ecdcupdates.jhtml

http://www.lgeservice.com/CDRW.htm

If the delete and reboot fixes the problem I would just update the EZCD.

jawwzs

I removed it and restarted the computer. still the same problem.

Hey slipe. I have Easy CD Creator 4.02c S33 (OEM), is there any noticeable changes when you upgrade to 4.05? I have no problems with the Easy CD software at all, just curious.

Hi Sharon – don’t think so.

It is the first thing to try if you start having problems after installing new hardware, OS or even some software. It doesn’t add new features or speed to a system that is already doing what you want. Many people recommend keeping it up to date on principle, but I wouldn’t bother if I were you.

jawwzs: They really don’t charge by the word on the forum. I don’t know where you are with firmware and software. If you haven’t upgraded it we would be wasting time with further troubleshooting as that is always the first step.

Thanks slipe. I figure if it ain't broke-don't fix it. My EZCD software works great. Have a great weekend! :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online