1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-R/RW installation problem message

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gurf, Jan 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gurf

gurf Thread Starter

I had a CD-R/RW put into my pc but hadn't received the software with it. When I later got the installation CD I got this message: "The DRVCHK95.EXE file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL." I'm using Windows 98. Another error message suggests a Cabinet file is corrupt. Is the installation CD a lemon perhaps? Sony says the minimum version need for the task is 5.1b; the CD I got is version 5.1. Maybe that's one of the problems. As you can see, I know little about this and understand less. Is anyone game to offer advice? I hope so. Thanks in advance.
    Gurf

[email protected]

2. $teve

$teve

shouldnt need any extra divers.try unistalling it in device manager,reboot and let windows reinstall it.
    windows drivers should be all it needs.

3. slipe

slipe

I take it you are getting those messages while you are installing the software. Find your model number and go to Sony support to see if there are any software updates. You might as well update the firmware while you are there. You might have to go to the software maker’s site to get the software update.

If there are no updates and you still can’t install the software you might try extracting the kernel32.dll and cabinet file from your Win98 CD. Use the system file checker to do that. Start>Run, type SFC and enter.

If the burner will read CDs like a CD-ROM drive will then it is installed OK. The software installation is an independent thing. I doubt that the CD is bad, but stranger things have happened. My guess is that something is a little corrupted in your system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113521

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice