1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd-r/rw Installation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by davnjo_w, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. davnjo_w

davnjo_w Thread Starter

Recently i bought a CENDYNE 48x16X48X cd drive. I own a pc purchased thru GATEWAY that is running WIN_ME. I need to know how to install the new cd-r/rw with utilizing the cd rom that i already have. The installation instructions are skimpy on the details.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

pretty simple ususally. set the master/slave jumpers on both drives, bolt the new drive in, connect the ide and power cables, reboot and it will be autodetected/installed.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Of course, there is almost no reason to have a CD and a CD-RW drive, why not just slide it in as a replacement?

4. n2gun

n2gun

If your cd-rom is on its own cable, set the cd-rw to slave and put it in just below the cd-rom. Hook it to the same cable as cd-rom. Hook up the power. (when you hook the data cable make sure the stripe on the cable is nearest the power connector) You will have to go into the bios to set it to auto detect on the secondary ide slave.

5. slipe

slipe

It is usually as easy as n2gun said except without having to mess with BIOS. If the computer is detecting the CD-ROM on the secondary it will likely pick up the burner when you install it. Bios setups can vary, but don’t mess with it until you are sure it isn’t going to show up on its own.

There is no reason to not keep both the CD-ROM and burner. Unless you have old equipment or old Via busses it is just as reliable and successful to copy directly from the CD-ROM to the burner. Your burner has buffer underrun protection.

Some computers come with a ribbon cable to the CD-ROM with only one connector. If that is the case and the burner did not come with a cable you have to buy a cable with two connectors. If you plan to leave the burner on the same channel as the CD-ROM get a cheap 40 wire cable. Don’t get talked into the 80 wire cable as you don’t need it and it is considered more reliable to use the old 40 wire cable on optical drives.

If by chance your CD-ROM cable has only one connector but the cable to your hard drive has two connectors you don’t have to buy a cable. Set your CD-ROM drive to slave and make sure the hard drive is set to master rather than cable select. Plug the second connector into the CD-ROM and use the other cable to connect your new burner – jumpered as master. That is considered the preferred way to set it up anyway.

Here are some instructions that explain it with pictures: http://www.helpwithpcs.com/upgrading/installing_cd_recorder.htm

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116905

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice