CD-R/RW multi-session blues

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

downwitchyobadself

I sure hope there's a CD-R expert among us... I'm a little frustrated, because I work between home and the office, and frequently burn a CD to make updates to files in one place or the other...

Problem is, on a SCSI Yamaha CRW4416S at work, it often doesn't find the last volume burned on a multi-session disk. I burn using Nero, never had a problem. I can verify the compilation, R or RW, on both my burner and my DVD at home, so I know it's there, but then by the time I get to the office, the latest volume is *gone*, replaced with its predecessor. Even Nero doesn't see it. (But then of course, Nero is just reading off the drive...) Which means I have to go home and start over. A double burn of the same session will almost always get it to show at work...

Worth saying that I never had this problem before switching to Windows 2000 Pro. And that it does not occur with any regularity, pretty random.

What's going on? Yamaha tech support can't tell me. Can one of you hardware stud(ette)s?

thanx

In nero, what settings do you have under CDrom iso>multisession tab?

and check out this site if you haven't already http://www.cdrinfo.com/

look around, drop them an email.

The scsi drive at your work may need a firmware update or is picky about the media your are using.

downwitchyobadself

Thanks for the reply. That site is a fine call.

As for firmware, I've downloaded it from Yamaha, but it fails, giving me an ASPI error and no target device found... I'm guessing that means it isn't recognizing the drive, which seems a bit silly to me.

My Nero settings:
Replace files in compilation checked, when File date or length changed.
Add new files to compilation checked.

I still have a lot to learn when using nero, but when I successfully burn and add to a multisession disk, I have Replace files in compilation disabled.

However the way you have it enabled, should be OK since you have the other settings correct. Plus it works with your dvd drive and burner.

from what you have said, the scsi drive is messed up. You should have someone else make a multisession disk on their computer and then take it to your work and see if it reads ok.

It doesn't sound like it is something you are doing wrong.

downwitchyobadself

Thanks, Shadow, you're backin' me up here. No, but seriously folks, I've never had any problems replacing files in compilations until now (I don't quite understand what you mean, slipe, given that the settings I posted are for before I burn a session, and Nero verifies the data as well...), and that of course should be the magic of multi-session. Once that's history, you may as well hang up the whole idea.

You're right, though, about burning elsewhere to test. Thanks for the help again.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online