1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-R won't R - Help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ff18wife, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ff18wife

ff18wife Thread Starter

Trying to send zip files to CD-RW. Get error message :

Cannot copy "Name of File"
    Make sure that disk is not full or write protected
    and that file is not currently in use.

Do CD-RW's need to be formatted before use like a floppy? If so, how? If not, why is this computer trying to make me crazier than I already am????:confused:

Any response would be greatly appreciated!!!:)

2. kramnnim

kramnnim

What OS are you using? And...what program are you using to burn the CD?

3. slipe

slipe

If you want to send anything directly to the burner the disc has to be formatted. It should give you the option when you insert a new disc. If not, open the packet writing software and select “format”. You don’t mention specifics like software and hardware so I can only generalize. There should be an icon in your system tray next to the clock that will open the packet writing software and allow you to format the CD. You also have to use the icon to eject a formatted CD.

If you have Roxio DirectCD you can format both CDR and RW. With others like InCD that comes with Nero you can only format RW.

My advice would be to learn to use the mastering software first. You can’t record music CDs with packet writing software and it is easy to lose data. It is nice for backup as long as you don’t erase the original.

4. ff18wife

ff18wife Thread Starter

My Bad, I was trying to revert back to floppies and just do a FILE, SEND TO. Software is HP CD Writer.
    What was I thinking?!?!?

Thanks to all who replied.:rolleyes:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119612

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice