1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-R won't run at full speed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zonarosa, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zonarosa

zonarosa Thread Starter

I have a Memorex 32 Maxx that doesn't read at 40x or Write at 32 x even with the correct media. It reads at 12x and writes at 8x.

I'm running Windows XP and it won't give me DMA. I can't find a way overriding this on the motherboard (Gigabyte GA - 7ZXE). Its on a ATA100 cable.

Although, it burns CD's ok it's too slow.

2. torgo

torgo

what operating system?

what burning software are you using?

3. n2gun

n2gun

What is the speed of your cpu? And also your bus speed? Memory speed and how much?

4. zonarosa

zonarosa Thread Starter

Using Clone CD 4.0.1.10 and Nero Burning ROM 5.5.9.17 in Windows XP

CPU is Athlon XP 1800+, Bus Speed 266MHz and Memory 512Mb of PC-133

5. n2gun

n2gun

Have you tried going to My Computer and right clicking and opening Properties. There is a set record speed option there. I have mine set fastest and no problem with setting recording speed in Nero.

What is your approximate recording time for a full or near full disk?

At 24x (which I use to prevent some errors) mine is about 3 minutes 30 seconds. By burning at 36x, I only gain 10 to 20 seconds so I opted for 24x to prevent making coasters.

6. zonarosa

zonarosa Thread Starter

I have set the record speed option but no change to read and write speeds.

It takes around 13 mins to read and write an audio cd.

7. n2gun

n2gun

Darn that is slow. Have you tried uninstalling the driver and rebooting to reinstall it? Also I am wondering if for some reason there is a bad connection on the data cable.. You could try unplugging the data cable and resetting it. If there is any corrosion this should take care of it.

8. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

After you install Nero a folder called ahead Nero is created in Start > Programs.

There is a sub-folder called Nero Tool Kit. From there execute Nero DriveSpeed. You will be able to do what you want from there.

9. zonarosa

zonarosa Thread Starter

Thanks n2gun and abvavguser. Tried both suggestions but still no improvement.

I think is cos I can't set DMA, but I don't know why. :confused:

10. n2gun

n2gun

It is starting to sound like a defective drive. If it is still under warranty, I would get it replaced.

Curious, Have you tried it in another computer? It would definitely help to tell if the drive has a problem.

11. slipe

slipe

If you have a Via chipset go to their site and download the latest 4 in 1 drivers. Via bus drivers can be screwy and sometimes the 4 in 1 update helps.

12. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Do you get options to write at higher speeds in Nero? If yes, does it write slow even after selecting one of the higher speed options?

If it writes slow even after selecting high speed, then either Nero installation or your CDRW drive is bad. First thing that you can try to do is to reinstall Nero. If it doesn't work, as n2gun said, try installaling this CDRW drive in some other machine and see if it works there.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you can't get the DMA option to work, it's not surprising that your not getting fast recording speeds. I'd work on that problem first! Did you enable DMA in the BIOS?

14. zonarosa

zonarosa Thread Starter

Thank you to everyone. It was the cable. Its sorted now.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice