1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd-r writer firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TonyB4, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TonyB4

TonyB4 Thread Starter

I am using a Mitsumi CD-R writer and it will not burn 800 mb discs
    My question is...is it safe to flash the firmware......it is fw110_28.exe. It states that it will not open from MS Dos prompt
    but will in the MS Dos- mode. (next paragraph)

CR-2801TE Internal CD-R Drive.
    Description Filename Notes
    CR-2801TE Internal CD-R Drive
    Firmware Update Utility for DOS
    Ver. 1.10
    (Uploaded since 1/20/99) fw110_28.exe
    (368KB)
    1. File self extracts
    2. Go to MS_DOS Mode (Does not work on MS-DOS prompt)
    3. Type:\Flash MP110d28.mar
    4. Follow instructions.
    *Supports 80 min CD-R media.
    Help would be really appreciated if someone could help with the installation or advise if installed will I loose my cd-r.
    Thanks in advance..... TonyB4

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If all goes well, you'll have an upgraded CD-RW drive. However, as should be obvious, if something goes wrong during the process, you may end up with a doorstop. It all depends on how bad you want to burn 800mb disks...

3. slipe

slipe

Hi – welcome to TSG.

It is usually safe to flash the firmware on burners. Start>Shut Down>Restart in MS-DOS Mode will put you in true DOS. They are cautioning against using Start>Programs>DOS Prompt.

After you download the file just click on it in regular Windows mode (or double click if you are set up for that). A DOS extractor will open and do its thing. Then restart in DOS mode, type \Flash MP110d28.mar, enter and follow the onscreen instructions.

4. TonyB4

TonyB4 Thread Starter

Thank you both for your input. I purchased the 800 mb disks on sale..not realizing that I would not be able to use them. cannot return them since I opened all three packages.

My start/shutdown has only -restart-standby & shutdown.
    Could you please tell me another way to get into the DOS Mode? Thanks.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    restart your computer, while its reboot and just before the satrting windows screen comes up press f8 or hold the ctrl key. you should get a menu with one of the choices being command prompt only.

6. TonyB4

TonyB4 Thread Starter

Did as you said 'Triple6'....4 things came up. Normal, Safe Mode, Step by Step Confirmation and Logged (\Bootleg.txt)
    Logged did'nt give me a command prompt
    Step by Step...No command prompt.
    Do not know what to do now.
    My OS is Windows ME version 4.90.3000 build 3000
    Thank you all for your continued assistance.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

With ME you will need a ME boot disk to get to a dos prompt......

You can download one here:
    http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

save it to your desktop (not to a floppy), then double click on it and follow instructions.....then boot to the floppy disk and choose minimal boot (I think that is the choice).

8. slipe

slipe

Here are the complete instructions: http://www.mitsumi.com/indexusa.html They say ”Not Windows NT4.0, Me, 2000 Users”

If AcaCandy’s workaround with the boot disc doesn’t work you might be out of luck. Some of the burners have a Windows utility for ME, but they have only a DOS utility for your burner.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can cruise over to Bootdisk and get all the boot disks you need for any task like this.

10. TonyB4

TonyB4 Thread Starter

Thank you all so much for your help.
    I have tried the bootdisk and it only gave me the DOS prompt, have tried quite a few things but had better quit before I screw up my computer...I am not that knowledable with things like this.
    This leaves me with an excuse to raid my piggy bank and buy a new drive. Have been looking at Pacific Digital Mach 48....not sure how good it is.....read that Lite-On is good. Just looking for a cd-rw that will burn 80 minute discs (since I have 60 of them)and be faster than my cr-2801te
    Is this the wrong forum to ask for opinions, if not I would appreciate your input on which drive would be best for around $150.00 Cdn.

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

That was supposed to be the result ;)

Did you have the option to start with or without cdrom support?

12. TonyB4

TonyB4 Thread Starter

Thank you AcaCandy: but it says not to start from the DOS prompt...that can be dangerous. I tried it before I knew and luckily nothing bad happened.
    ... Mitsumi states that it has to be done in DOS Mode. See my 1st. posting.. Thanks

13. slipe

slipe

See my first post where I explained what DOS prompt you were being warned against. The start disc is true DOS.

14. TonyB4

TonyB4 Thread Starter

Sorry Slipe, that I did not get back until now.
    I made a WinMe.exe bootdisk and it has dos command on it....I guess I am afraid of doing something drastic by playing with things that I am not sure of...it has happened before...you know the old saying "once bitten"......
    Really appreciate everyone's assistance.
    I may purchase a new cd-r/rw drive. GCE-8481B manufactures by LGeus.Have to check them out a little more. Thanks again...

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112598

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice