CD Reboots Computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Liz

When I try to run a program using the CD as necessary, I put the CD in and it reboots my computer. ??? I tried playing a CD to see if it was the program CD or any CD and it did the same thing. I have Windows 98. The only thing I can think of that might of had an effect was I recently upgraded Windows Media Player. I don't see how that would effect the CD drive, but that's the only thing I've done (that I can remember) Help...

This is any CD? Music or data?

What happens if there is a CD in the drive at boot, and you double click on My Computer? Does it show the CD correctly there? Can you RIGHT click on it and choose Explore?

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
LarryCore begs for money

Liz

It doesn't matter if the CD is music or software. I can't check the CD in my computer because everytime I put a CD in my computer reboots. It will reboot continously. I went to the Compaq Forums and I am not the only one with the problem. I have a 5700 Presario and it seems 3 other people are experiencing this problem. We all have had the computer a little over a year and of course the warranty has run out. One man called Compaq and he was told he needed to install a new drive. Oh, I did uninstall and reinstall the CD drivers, but that didn't help. Guess I'm up the creek. It seems I may need to buy a new CD drive. Seems ridiculous considering I have only had this computer a little over a year. I have no idea what the cost is (for a new drive)and if I could figure out how to install it. Always something. Thank you for your response.

Well, CD drives are pretty cheap. You can get one for less than $50 if you look around for a low end one on sale.

Install is pretty simple usually. Sometimes the cases on Compaq's are a pain to deal with though.

------------------
Get free stuff and help out a poor computer tech:
LarryCore begs for money

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online