1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd rewriter blues !!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by faiz, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

I need help !

I have installed an Hp cd rewriter 9700 series , and the installation as well as the working is perfect . Now while I was going through the manual, I read that DMA should be selected and if my system supports it , then on reboot it remain or else the the check box will be clear once again. So I did the following---- device manager-cd rewriter - properties - settings - selected DMA --and then the problem started on reboot just before arriving at the desktop the sytem would again reboot and the thing would go on and on. I started in safe mode and went into settings of the cd rewriter and found that the DMA checkbox has been grayed out .

I switched off the machine and and disconnected the cd rewriter and it booted ok , once again I checked in the settings and the dma checkbox was grayed out .
    I rebooted with the cdrewriter , but once again the same thing constant reboot.
    Then I uninstalled the cdrewriter software and rebooted , but no luck as long as the cd rewriter is connected the sysytem would keep rebooting .

Last but not the least --fdisk-format and all over installation win 98 and then the system was back to normal..

My question is that if dma is not supported and then such a problem appears then what is the solution other than reformat????

I tried the same thing with my cd rom drive and when I rebooted the system was fine and the dma tick box was empty.( no support)

The same thing with my new hdd it supported dma on reboot
    Although my old hdd ( seagate) didn't support it .

Since the cd rom drive and hdd didn't cause a problem then why did the cd rewriter go on the blink?????

2. slipe

slipe

The problem might well have been solvable without a format had you been able to get to the board. You obviously couldn’t do that in safe mode and solved your problem as best you could, and it is hard to troubleshoot once the problem is fixed. I have no idea why the burner would have caused problems where the CD-ROM didn’t. What you have to do now is to confirm your system won’t support DMA. If it won’t, just don’t check it again. If it will you should get it working. If your HD is using DMA I suspect there is a way to get it working for the burner.

If you have a Via chipset you need to go to the Via site and download the latest 4 in 1 drivers. The kind of stuff you are experiencing is common with old Via busmaster drivers.

Have you looked through your BIOS to see if you can activate DMA there? Is DMA still grayed out for the burner? How do you have the busses set up - HDs master and slave on the primary and burner and CD-ROM master and slave on the secondary?

You might try HP support. If your HD is using DMA I would think that means your system supports it. It could be a problem with your burner. Tech support would have to run through their troubleshooting before they could RMA it in any case, so you might as well communicate with them if you can’t sort it out.

3. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Hi slipe,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

i have got an asus p5ab mb, with an Ali chipset .
    I had gone through the bios , I don't quite remember seeing anything about DMA, under what heading should I find it ?
    Now with the fresh installation the Dma checkbox is not grayed out, ( I dare not tick it again or another night of installations)

My hdd is on the primary master, no second drive so the slave is empty. My cdrom drive is secondary master and the cd rewriter is the secondary slave.

I tried the hp website but all I found is that if the dma is not supported , then we should uncheck it if any problems .
    But what do I do if the check box is grayed out ???

I think somethings remain unanswered.
    T
    hanks for all your help.
    Its you guys who make computing so much easier.

4. deanas

deanas

Maybe you did this but...
    You can check out the dma assignments
    by right clicking my computer and choosing
    properties. Open device manager and right
    click the top computer icon and again choose
    properties. Press the dma circle.

5. slipe

slipe

Try making your CD-ROM slave to the HD. You might want to benchmark your HD performance with the free version of Sandra for comparison before you do it: http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,35399,00.html On most modern busses a PIO4 CD-ROM on the same channel with the HD will not usually slow the HD. Wouldn’t hurt to make sure.

The CD-ROM usually won’t usually interfere with the burner either but it is worth a try. If you want to record on the fly from the CD-ROM, having it on a different channel from the burner is usually better anyway. I think that is especially true without DMA.

Some burners prefer to be master.

Of course you will still have to grit your teeth to check the DMA on the burner if you do that. It seems that simply undoing that in safe mode doesn’t help, and I have no idea of what else to try other than muddle. It is amazing how often muddling works. You might straighten things out by just removing the burner in device manager and rebooting. Did you try that before?

Some BIOS setups have DMA controls and some don’t. If you looked through your BIOS and didn’t see DMA it probably isn’t there.

6. faiz

faiz Thread Starter

Dear Deanas,
    I did that , but what am I to look for ??What are Dma asignments??
    thanks

Hi slipe!
    Yes I did remove the burner from the device manager as well as uninstalled all the software that came with it, but to no luck the rebooting was consistent.
    I am in the middle of upgrading my bios , And do I need help ! you bet I do.
    please refer my thread Hard disk won't detect 40 gb dated 17/01 2002.

thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!