Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

CD ripper wont rip certain CDs

1K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  cwwozniak 
#1 ·
I was trying to rip a Beatles box set i had.. CDs play great but when i try to rip one of them, it just snags and the itunes freezes up where i have to ro a hard shut down and when it finally does rip i play back the album file and the file would skip and freeze but afterwards i play the CD in a normal disc player... it plays fine...no skips.. yes i was very angery when that happened. I was really looking forward to ripping my entire box set onto a pin drive... but NO...😡😡 i was so angry i punched a wooden bedpost and almost broke my hand... WHY CAN’T I HAVE ANY LUCK WITH THESE THINGS!!😩😩😩 just for once cant things just turn out the way i need them to... just for once!!

#2 ·
Have you tried using anything besides iTunes to RIP the CDs?

Do the CDs play without problems using the same drive on the computer or do they only play on a normal CD player? If they only play without problems on a normal, stand-alone player there is a good possibility that some kind of copy protection was used to create the CDs. In that case, we are unable to offer any assistance in defeating it.

#6 ·
If the discs in question play all tracks OK with whatever optical drive you used with whatever computer you used to try to RIP the CDs, then I suggest you try a different program besides iTunes to RIP the CDs.

It was my understanding at one time that CD drives that can read data CDs will read and process the information from an audio CD in a slightly different way than an audio-only CD drive used in a player. Music CD publishers exploited this difference as a form of copy protection for their audio discs. They modified the audio data in a way that would be ignored by an audio-only CD drive with little or no difference in sound, but trip up a data disc capable CD drive and produce a corrupted output.

#8 · (Edited)
#11 ·
Yes, i knew that but you kept calling it a "data CD" and mine was a normal audio CD
I was referring to the optical drive itself, not the audio discs you were trying to RIP. If the drive itself supports reading data CDs, then there is a possibility that you may have a problem using that particular drive to play or RIP some audio CDs.

If you can use that drive to play an entire audio CD from your box set without any problems the suggestion is to try to use some other software, instead of iTunes, to RIP the CDs in that set.

#10 ·
I use freeware called Exact Audio Copy. I've been using it for years (different versions as upgrades were made available). In all that time it has worked with a number of drives. Usually I use a DVD-ROM for ripping music CDs. Lately I used a USB Blu-ray and a built-in Blu-ray connected via a SATA port. You can select whatever output you want as EAC supports external encoders. You will need to decide on the format you want so you can get and use the necessary encoder. MP3 is probably the most common compressed format, but it is lossy. If you are after lossless, FLAC is probably your best choice. Both have free encoders that work great.

The link to EAC is here: https://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.