1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd ROM and DVD not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lola2001, Oct 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

This is going to be a bit difficult because I am trying to solve a friends problem over the phone so I can't see the computer. Her CD/ROM (D) and DVD (E) drives are not working. They show up in my computer and in the device manager as working properly. The DVD drive actually makes a noise when a Cd is in there but does nothing and the CD/ROM doesn't even make a peep. We've tried several CD's in both drives. Then checked the bios boot sequence. D:/ was first so changed it to A:/ and tried booting from a floppy with CD-ROM support. Kept getting a message saying CDR-101 NOT READY READING DRIVE E. I put something in the E drive and it still did not work. I tried moving the windows CD to the E drive but I still got the same thing. In DOS I can go from A:/ to D:/ to E:/ and it reads all files on whatever CD is in there. Another thing on the CD/ROM drive there is a green light that goes off when you open it and a red light comes on while the CD is in there...that can't be good right? I don't know what else to tell her to try. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. mobo

mobo

I would go to device manager and delete both then reboot and let windows reinstall both. If no joy then do an online virus scan.

3. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I had her delete the CD-ROM but it still didn't work upon reboot. I didn't tell her to do them both though. Does that matter? Online virus scan? Can you recommend one please? No joy yet, thanks.

4. mobo

mobo

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Is there a history behind the disappearance? Anyone playing inside?

6. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Nobody playing inside. They wouldn't know how to even open the computer. They check their email and that's it. I thought of that also but was assured that nobody had opened the tower.

7. ~Candy~

See if you can read a disk by booting with a boot disk w/cdrom support.....If you can't read one in dos, then it's a hardware issue.

8. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

mobo. I will forward the House call and have her run it. Thanks.

9. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Yes, I can read both drives from DOS.

10. ~Candy~

Ok, then right click on my computer, properties, performance....anything about dos compatibility mode.......fingers crossed for a NO answer ;)

11. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I forwarded your question to her and I'm waiting to hear back from her. I'll post her answer as soon as she gets back to me. Thanks.

12. ~Candy~

What operating system is she running? Guess I should have asked that back a post or two ;)

13. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

Oh. Sorry. I should have mentioned that. Windows 98.

14. ~Candy~

Ok, good, then my above 'my computer' instructions will work ;)

15. lola2001

lola2001 Thread Starter

I'm speaking to her now on the phone and under performance she is not seeing anything that has the word dos or the word compatibility. What now?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice