1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROm and Sound Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kimkat, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kimkat

kimkat Thread Starter

Hi, I have two problems:

1. My Cd-ROM drive has suddenly stopped working. It provides the error "E: is not accessible. The device is not ready". I have of course, tried different CD's - Audio and non-audio and the same message appears. I've checked the device in device manager and it is marked as working properly. I'm running windows 98 SE and it's a Memorex 52x drive. Any suggestions?

2. I've recently formatted my hard drive (another computer from the one above) and installed Win 98 SE. Stupid me forgot to save the sound card drivers and so now i have no sound. The card is a SoundBlaster CT4170. i got drivers from the net and tried them, but it doesn't work. In addition to this, with all of my fiddling, the volume control has disappeared. I think i've checked evrything to try and get it back - i've checked Multimedia in Control panel - all the audio settings are 'greyed out', i've checked device manager - no sound / audio controllers or anything is installed and i've tried re-running the windows installation from my cab files to try and re-install the control - didn't work. What next?? HELP!!

2. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

kimkat---As to problem number 2 try deleting the sound card under Device Manager and then re-boot. Hopefully, Win 98SE will pick up the sound card on the re-boot and install generic drivers. Where did you find the drivers on the Internet?

3. Chris A

Chris A

Try this to get it back. Start.... settings... control panel.... Add remove programs.... Windows setup... Then pick Multimedia.. Find the Volume control and if it is checked uncheck it. reboot then recheck it again..

4. kimkat

kimkat Thread Starter

gbrumb,
    There is no sound card, no sound device or any such thing listed under device manager. The drivers i got were from a site for drivers of all kinds - windrivers or something like that, i don't remember the exact name.

ChrisA,
    Didn't work. The volume control is still missing.

Any other suggestions??

5. GoneForNow

GoneForNow

kimkat;
    Go here and download the drivers for your sound card, install them and re-boot. Let me know what happens.
    http://www.creative.com/support/files/download.asp

One more question. Is your sound card a separate sound card, by that I mean its not sound chips integrated into the motherboard?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice