1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM and USB ports not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yesitschanga, Sep 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yesitschanga

Yesitschanga Thread Starter

So my CD-ROM doesn't want these installation discs for a wireless adaptor or a drawing tablet I just bought. I currently don't have Internet connection on my desktop so I can't go online and download them. Whenever I plug either of them in any USB port it shows that they are being installed for 3 seconds but then they go away and nothing happens so I can't use either one. The USB ports seem to work for my mouse and keyboard though.

2. Sponsor

3. prunejuice

prunejuice

You're talking about an external CD/DVD ROM drive?
    What make and model is it? How are you connecting it. It's possible a picture of your setup might help...

4. Yesitschanga

Yesitschanga Thread Starter

Attached Files:

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

Can you download the drivers on a different computer then transfer them to the one in the picture with a Usb stick ?

6. plodr

plodr

You aren't running Windows 10 are you?
    That OS doesn't contain drivers for optical drives.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

I think 10 does have generic drivers for optical drives, which should be all you need, but there have been some problems when upgrading to 10 and/or going back to the original OS. I did a clean install of 10 recently and the optical drive works perfectly.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1155445