CD-Rom and Zip Drive not showing up. Blazes!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

TheHipCat

Okay, here's the deal. To make a long story short, I got an error on windows 98 startup that said 'explorer.exe' performed an illegal operation and had to be shut down. I couldn't get into windows at all, not even in safe mode. Not good.

So I installed windows over itself and that got me back into 'barely operating' mode. But now I can't see my CD-Rom or zip drive. The device manager show three items under Hard Drive Controllers. A Standard Dual PCI IDE controller, which is checking out fine, then two others:

Primary IDE Controller (dual fifo)
Secondary IDE Controller (dual fifo)

which are producing errors. The properties on them says that device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the required drivers installed. I tried changing them but to no avail.

Whatever happens, I am backing up my files and formating my drive. I would just like to have the Zip Drive to help with my backups, I've got two partitions so I might just back up my files to D drive and format just my C drive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

~Zach

Hi,

Just to clarify, when you said that you tried to change the IDE controllers in Device Manager, did you remove them, then restart and allow them to re-detect? (You might have to remove the "parent"device first) If not, then you might want to try that. Also, I'm guessing your Zip drive is internal, right? Are there any other device conflicts that you can see? If removing the prim. + sec. controllers then restarting doesn't work, try unplugging the zip drive and the CD from the board, then add them back one-by-one. Please post back with more info.

Good Luck

TheHipCat

Ah, good questions. Sorry I didn't clarify them in the original post.

I tried removing them one by one, but it said I have to remove the parent driver first. I did that, but then lost all control of everything, I could move the mouse cursor, but couldn't access anything. (buttons, start menu, etc...) I restarted and it redected them but the same problem is showing up. I have stired changing the driver on the parent also, but it doesn't change anything.

I have not tried physically removing the drives (yes, the zip drive is internal). I will try that sometime this week and see if that triggers something.

Thanks!

~Zach

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Do you have the motherboard drivers and/or the installation cd that came with your computer?

It sounds like you are going to have to re-install the ide /bus master drivers.

Post your IRQs so we can see information regarding possible motherboard driver problems.

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok.....hardware resources, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

Also, when removing devices from the device manager, it's best to boot into safe mode...that means that minimal drivers are loaded and it lets you see other device drivers that are hidden in "normal" mode

TheHipCat

0 System timer
1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2 Programmable interrupt controller
3 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
3 Zoom PCI 56K HCF Faxmodem
3 Zoom PCI Modem Controller
4 Communications Port (COM1)
5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
5 miroVIDEO DC30 plus, Motion JPEG Capture/CODEC Board
5 Intel 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7 Printer Port (LPT1)
8 System CMOS/real time clock
9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
10 S3 ViRGE PCI (325)
11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
11 Sound Blaster AudioPCI
12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13 Numeric data processor
14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14 Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller
15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15 Standard Dual PCI IDE Controller

Go to Run and type Regedit.

Select Edit>Find and search for NoIde

Delete any reference to NoIde in the Registry. Close Regedit and reboot.

Should that not work you can try the following:

Insert a clean boot disk and then at the A:> prompt type:

fdisk /mbr

Remove the boot disk and start up normally.

TheHipCat

Okay, this is freaking weird.

My CD-Rom and Zip Drive are back now.

I didn't do anything because I was waiting until today to try all of the suggestions made.

However, last night (Friday) because I have no life I was at home doing nothing in particular. Then Norton's Antivirus came on because it is scheduled to come on at 8:00pm on Friday's

It immediately detected the NYB virus in my MBR. I downloaded Protector Plus 2000 evaluation version and got rid of the virus.

Now this morning I boot up my computer and WHA-LA, there they are. Could the virus have been the cause of the problem?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I would say that is a great possibility, especially since you say it was a MBR virus.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/virusSummary.asp?virus_k=880

You should also take a look at EVERY floppy disk you've had in the computer as well....

I'm going to move this to the virus area, where, if I'm not mistaken, Rollin' Rog will pop in to make sure you are ok.

Yes, boot sector viri are a common cause of "compatibility mode" issues where hard disk drivers are not loaded in Windows and therefore run in "real mode". Or in the case of CD-Roms, not at all (unless you load a startup disk). The virus does this by hooking a very low level interrupt before the drivers can load.

I'd say Norton did good by you Big Time. :)

I'd toss or format all the floppies.

Shall we consider this one "Solved" ?

TheHipCat

Unless you hear back from me in the next week or so, this one is as good as solved.

Thanks again guys, this has been my second 'visit' with a computer problem to these forums, both times you've come through.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts