1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd-rom, cd-rw, floppy drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by don pryor, Sep 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

Shuttle AK32A Mainboard
    Duron 1.2 Gig processor
    512 pc133 memory
    Albatross TNT2 M64 32Meg Video Card
    VIA KT266A, VT8366A/VT8233 Chipset
    AC'97 2.1 Onboard Audio
    Optorite 40x12x40x CD-RW
    Silver Bullet 52x CD-ROM

My cd-rom and cd-rw work sporadically when they work at all. My floppy says it's inaccessible but occasionally it decides to earn its living. When a cd (music or data) is inserted into the cd-rom, the light comes on for a few seconds and then nothing. Clicking on the icon says it is inaccessible. The cd-rw light comes on, it powers up for a few seconds, then nothing. Clicking on the drive icon says it is inaccessible, no cd in the drive.

I went to the forums and read about other peoples' problems with these devices and this is what I've done so far. I removed both the cd devices from the device manager, shut down and restarted. Still the same problem. I disconnected them from the board and the power source. Started up and then shut back down. Reconnected and started up again. Took a while to get the board to recognize them. Same problems. Disconnected cd-rw, changed cd-rom to master on secondary eide and started up. The device manager didn't list it. Tried adding new hardware. No new hardware found. Finally had it recognized. same problem. Tried cd-rw alone, same problem. Finally, I pulled a 4 year old 24x cd-rom from an old case. Once it was recognized, it worked like a charm for both music and data cd so now I'm stumped. All three problem devices are less than 4 months old so it's unlikely that all three went on the blink at the same time. I'm using Nero with the cd-rw.
    Any info or assistance you can provide would be appreciated. I'm getting ready to put together a comp for a friend who had hers stolen and don't want to have the same problems occur with her comp. She was there for me when I first became disabled and had very few funds to live on waiting for Soc. Sec. to kick in so I'm absorbing half the costs of the comp so I can't afford to have to buy new devices because the ones I put in stop working. Thank you, Don Pryor

2. Krall

Krall

Im sorry to tell you this but in my opion it sounds like your motherboard is going bad. for all three of them be doing this the only other remote possability I can think of is maybe you are haveing power trouble? your power supply could be set for the wrong voltage or may be it is going bad but I really do think it is your mother board. (Just my opinion)

3. dai

dai

you listed your specs but left out one of the most important spec your p/s.
    try reseting the cmos,and then set the bios to default,check your drives are being seen.
    go into the device manager and check dma mode is enabled
    check your power requirements here
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

4. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

krall: I have a P4 ready, AMD approved 350 power supply. I will reset the Bios and check device manager. When I had everything hooked up, I went into device manager and properties on each one and it said they were working properly, no exclamation marks on any. Will come back with results of your suggestion, thanks, Don

5. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

krall: I reset bios and checked my power supply. I have a Codegen 350w AMD approved p/s P4 ready. I checked my Health status and power supply working as it should. The maximum wattage recommended for my system is 305w from the referred site. If its the motherboard then why is my old cd-rom working like a champ? I have a new p/s for the system I'm putting together. If I can't get optical devices working, will switch supply and see what happens. Thanks, Don

6. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy don pryor...

Just a few questions...

Which operating system are you using, and which version of Nero ?

Also have you tried, swapping out the ribbon cables ?

7. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

Jedi_master: I just finished removing Nero from my system. It came with the cd-rw. The software doesn't have the version # on it. I decided to try to take my board back to where I started from and introduce each device one at a time. The floppy may not be part of the problem. I remembered that I bought it off a friend of mine.

I've changed cables. I had the round ATA cables on initially, replaced them with new flat cables I had, then replaced those with old cables. The cd-rom light comes on and that's it. The cd-rw makes a hum with light on and blinking. I put a data disc in and it hummed and clicked, hummed and clicked, then stopped for a siesta. My old cd-rom works better now then it did with my old AT board, 266Mhz.

After I restart without the Nero in, I''ll shut down and reinstall one at a time. I'm going to start looking at other new boards that can use my processor in case it is the board., Don

8. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...didn't see a mention of the OS but the problem could be in the ASPI layer ( needed for CD-RW's ), try going here Nero ASPI, download and install the Nero ASPI, and see if it helps...

9. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

Jedi Master: I'm running Win98SE OEM. I downloaded the ASPI Nero file at the site given. I have something called ASPI in my system but I don't know if it's for the cd-rw or something else. Thank you for the advice, Don

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Have you double ckicked on the downloaded file, and installed the ASPI files ?

11. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

Jedi Master: I have yet to do this. I'm considering reformatting my drive, reinstallig the software for the board then begin reassembling everything. I took Nero out of my system and I don't want to reinstall it just to install the ASPI files, Don

12. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) Hello Don,

Here's what I would do.

First go into the BIOS setup and set the Secondary Master and Secondary Slave options to "none or not installed". Also check to ensure that both IDE channels are set to enabled. Save changes and exit. Shut down the computer and remove both the CDRom and CDRW drives. Boot into Windows. Go into Device Manager and expand the "Hard Disk Controllers" selection. Highlight the entry that has "Bus Master" controller in it. (Example: Via Bus Master PCI IDE Controller.) Click on this entry then choose Properties. Click on Settings. In the box set the options to "Both IDE channels enabled". Click OK. Shut down the computer and install the CDRom drive (jumper on Master) on the Secondary IDE cable. Reboot and see if it works. If it does, shut down again and unplug the CDRom drive, change the jumper to "Slave" and attach it to the Middle connector on the cable. Now set the jumper on the CDRW to Master and connect it to the connector on the end of the cable. Boot up and see if both drives work. Depending on the CDRW, you might have to set the jumper to CS (Cable Select) or remove it completely. Check the documentation that came with the CDRW for the recommended jumper configuration. Do not install the NERO until you have the CDRW working. (It should work as a CDRom drive without NERO installed).

Good luck.

Kilowatt

13. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

Thank you, Kilowatt1: I will give this a try. I'm not sure if my Bios will allow me to set it to none but will see, thanks, Don

14. don pryor

don pryor Thread Starter

Kilowatt1: I set the Bios as you suggested, shut down, rebooted, went to device manager and changed primary and secondary EIDE from default to both enabled, shut down, reinstalled cd-rom. There was no change. I put in a music cd, the light blinked for about 5 seconds and then nothing. My OS cd player said there was no cd in the device. I shut down, disconnected it, reconnected the cd-rw. It buzzed and clicked, buzzed and clicked buzzed and stopped. The device manager said both are working properly with no conflicts. I tried 3 different cables with them, nothing changed.

I went to Nero site's FAQs and tried some things from that site though the site didn't specifically address my issues. I went to manufacturer's sites for both devices, no help there either. I then reinstalled my 1998 purchased cd-rom that I bought for my 166Mhz computer and, again, it worked like a champ for both data and audio cd.

I have a bogey in my system somewhere and I don't know what my next step is. I have a 750Mhz MB laying around that I didn't have an appropriate p/s for at the time that I might try to bring up. I have to get another floppy first because there's a lot of info that has to be put in for the motherboard to function properly and I don't have the patience right now to deal with it. I need to remove myself from this MB's problems first before tackling the new MB.

I thank you and Jedi Master and Krall for all the invaluable assistance you have given me. I will close out this thread now, Don

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168551

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice