1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-Rom +CD-RW power cables

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Veronica, May 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Veronica

Veronica Thread Starter

Hi

I have just added a new CD-RW to my PC
    I am going to rearrange all the devices/drives because Its not recognising the burner at the moment.

Problem:

Not enough power supply cables

My setup will be:

IDE0 slot > HDD(master) > 2nd HDD (slave)
    IDE1 slot > CD-RW (master) > CD-ROM (slave)

How can I connect them all so they all recive power
    At the moment only the 2 HDD's and the CD-ROM have power cables

I purchased an adapter power cable when I added my second HDD.

Your help will be appreciated(smile)
    :confused:

2. active95

active95

Get another Y power adaptor and hook it up to one of the power supply leads and "feed" the cd-rom and the cd-rw with it.
    Local PC store should have it for about $ 7
    Otherwise setup of the devices is good ( as in Hard drives with hard drives on Primary IDE and cd-rom's on secondary IDE)
    HTH

3. Veronica

Veronica Thread Starter

I will wait until I purchase the Y adapter cable before doing anything, hopefully the end of this week.

Thanks again:) :rolleyes: :D

4. active95

active95

One more thing...Since the power supply that you have doesn't have more then 3 4 pin power connectors i suspect that the power supply is 250W and under. If that is the case, i would start thinking about replacing it with a 300W , since the more devices you add , the more power will " suck" and could end up with some "strange " lock-ups...

5. Veronica

Veronica Thread Starter

MM... thanks Active didn't think of that but I don't want to upgrade anything else... I think maybe once I get all my data burned (when it works) I should remove the 2nd HDD its only a Quantum Sirroco 1700 1.6 gig is way too small, (and added myself(smile) do you think buying a larger HDD and gettign rid of the 2 small ones? maybe? At the moment the power cable is coming today sometime.. How do I know which PIN is the 1st primary and the 2nd PIN secondary I can't see it written on the Motherboard- they are white connections slots. This is how my setup is at the moment:

*Board on right side of tower on its edge
    *1st top pin slot >>goes into my new 2nd HDD Quantum Sirroco(that I added myself)into the end connector.

*2nd pin underneath the 1st top pin>>goes into(with middle connector) to CD-ROM(slave)>>second connector goes into C: drive(master)

*The A: drive pin is further down the board

Now I thought I would just try something see what you think.

What if I don't change all of the cables
    but only set the burner to slave
    and connect it with the middle connector
    and then to the Quantum Sirroco(2nd HDD)
    (which is where the end connector is at the moment.

Please let me know what you think..
    Also if I need to remove all the plugs including the power cords to reconnect them all to fit, will I have trouble accessing anything if it goes wrong. I know when I added the Quantum Sirroco HDD I had to go into some configuration to format it etc, I don't want to lose the data on this drive or my c: until I can burn all my data.

Hear from you soon

:)

Attached Files:

6. Veronica

Veronica Thread Starter

sorry that attachment was wrong as you can see the Quantum is really the second added drive I have relabeled it in this attachment so you can see my setup

sincerely

:eek:

Attached Files:

7. active95

active95

Acctually it's a good ideea , adding a newer hard drive and getting rid of the old ones ( in the future ;) ). Since the newer drives spin faster and in the same time have a bigger cache ( as in temp storage area)
    To your problem.
    1st top pin slot : secondary IDE channel
    2nd pin ( under the 1st top ) : primary IDE channel
    Now your ideea should work, but you take a performance hit ( as in the motherboard will need to drop the transfer speed , for the cd-rom to keep up with the transfer rate of the hard drive. So acctually instead of having normal windows, you have a slower one ( there is more to this , but i'll just stop here )
    So i would suggest connection the Quantum to the 2nd pin ( middle connector , making sure that it's set as Slave) and the cd rom to the 1st pin as a slave ( middle connector on the cable ) and the cd-rw as master
    HTH , and if it doesn't post it ;)
    P.S> You should have some writing somewere around the 1st pin , something like IDE 0 . So take a look again and check it out.
    The IDE connector on the motherboard should have 2 marking
    A 1 ( as in tell you which pin is pin #1 ) and should have somewere a marking IDE 0 , to tell you which connector is the Primary IDE channel

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/78706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice