1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-rom CDRW not reconized for ME

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccl, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccl

ccl Thread Starter

I have a compaq presario 5000 with windows ME. CD-rom and CDRW not reconized and thiere is not a drive listed for it under my computer in the device manager. I also checked the display drive and did not see CD-rom listed. Both of these drivers worked fine until my pc crashed a few weeks ago. I had the cd-rom driver under devise manager until a tech support guy told me to delete it. (I called TDK tech support they coundn't help me. Can some one here help.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

First and foremost, does the bios setup 'see' both drives?

3. ccl

ccl Thread Starter

how do I do that

4. ~Candy~

Hit the F 10 key while the computer is restarting......you should see drive information..........

5. ccl

ccl Thread Starter

it shows the cd-rom but not the cdr-w

6. ~Candy~

Ok, realistically the device manager should see the cdrom.....does the tray open on the CDRW? Are both hooked to the same gray cable? Has anyone been playing around inside the computer? How and why did the computer crash? In device manager are both IDE controllers appearing? Any exclamation marks or red x's on anything?

7. ccl

ccl Thread Starter

I was messing with it per the instructions from TDK tech support. I have 4 (!) marks on my IDE controllers

8. ~Candy~

Remove them all and reboot........

First check the CDRW connection inside the case.........be sure it has power securely attached and be sure the gray cable is securely attached, of course, while it is shut off ;)

9. ccl

ccl Thread Starter

At work right now I will disconnect and remove all when I get home. Do I need to install and drivers or download anything.

10. ~Candy~

Windows should find the two IDE controllers and add them back......you might take a look at the properties before you remove them to see what they are crying about.......resource conflict, drivers not installed properly, and device manager code error numbers.........

Obviously, be sure the CDRW is attached correctly, and pop into the bios to be sure it appears........

11. ccl

ccl Thread Starter

This did not work. it loaded the ide controllers however they still have the (!) marks and my CD rom and CDRw are not there, any other suggestions.

12. ~Candy~

Right click on my computer, properties.......anything there about dos compatability mode?

13. ccl

ccl Thread Starter

I did not see the item referenced above.

14. ~Candy~

Ok, that's good.....that one is a bear to fix....

Did you figure out if the CDRW appears in the bios setup? Securely connected, etc.?

15. ccl

ccl Thread Starter

how do I get to the bios set-up I am new to all of this?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!