1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-Rom CODE 19 error!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Xargos, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xargos

Xargos Thread Starter

Hi guys!

I have a 1GHz Athlon running Windows 98SE and Windows 2000 on two different partitions. I don't know exactly when it happened but I just realized that my e: and f: drives (which are cd-rom and cd-rw respectively) are not recognized anymore by Windows 2000 but works just fine under Windows 98. I uninstalled and reinstalled the drives but nothing changed. The drives are not recognized under command window either. The device manager tells me "Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)" . I naively cleaned the registry with System Mechanic and uninstall/reinstall but with no result. I can see at boot time that the drives are perfectly identified (brand names) by my PC.

What the heck is that?

Will I have to format and reinstall Windows 2000 just for this?

Arghhh!!!

Thanks for help.

2. Dan O

Dan O

Did you happen to install and/or remove Easy CD Creater 5? It has been causing a lot of problems for many.

To fix the problem backup your Windows Regisrty, run REGEDIT, go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Then delete the upper and lower entries. Next open Device Manager and make sure no CD-ROM drivers are listed, if there are delete them, and reboot.

3. Xargos

Xargos Thread Starter

Thanks but didn't work.

I just tried your method but it didn't work, Dan-O. After deleting the entries in registery, I uninstalled the problematic CD-rom drives in device manager and rebooted. Then at startup Windows automatically reinstalled drives and I rebooted again but to no avail, I still can't see the drives.

I effectively uninstalled a few CD-writing and playing related software 2 days ago (cdrwin4.0, cdclone, audioCD MP3 studio, musicmatch jukebox, morpheus, limewire, and maybe easy cd creator too but not sure about this one, cause never used it).

When you talk about deleting the upper and lower entries in the folder "4D36E965-E325-11CE.... " do you refer to the 0000 and 0001 folders under this folder, or to the upper and lower "files" under "4D36E965-E325-11CE.... " , which are "(Default)" and another one I just forgot the name of? I did erase the latter (the files).

The folders /4D36E965-E325.../0001 and /4D36E965-E325.../0002 seems to represents the two cd drives, so should I delete these? And what about the /4D36E965-E325.../Properties folder?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. : By the way, how do you backup the registry? Need a special software or Windows can do it? If I knew how to backup and restore old registry I would be more prone to try new things by myself... (which is maybe not so much of a good thing, hehe...).

4. Dan O

Dan O

To backup the registry you can Export it or use a third party utility, such as RegSafe: http://www.imaginelan.com/regsafe/index.html

It sounds like you did what I suggested but I am not sure what to try next. Hopefully someone else will have another idea.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Dan O, does windows 2000 have a scanreg restore similar to windows 98?

BTW, welcome to TSG Xargos!

6. Dan O

Dan O

Yes it does, good thinking. You can run: SCANREG /BACKUP and SCANREG /RESTORE

7. Jest8

Jest8

Try going here . It has the same resolution as DanO gave you but it also has a link to the Adaptec site for their fix, as well as a possible fix by uninstalling MS media player and installing the latest version.

8. Xargos

Xargos Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for the advice guys.

Jest8's link to microsoft support (and adptec fix) probably would have helped but unfortunately I was in a hurry so I just reinstalled Windows 2000 before seeing this reply.

Ciao!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58139

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice