1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Rom Dances...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Valentino, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Valentino

Valentino Thread Starter

My system is windows XP , Intel P4 . i got sony cd rom .
    Since yesterday evening, it has got some problem, i guess.. it comes out on its own n goes back in .. this process (comin out n goin in) occurs frequently . Its not like it do happen , only after some application is run. rather it occurs any time.
    i use p2p kazaa and ares software n for tht my cable net firewall was kept open ( i mean unfirewalled) . the only incident tht i recollect is nortan had detected virus called bling n deleted it..n after tht this has started.. i ran nortan full system scan , it detected n deleted 2-3 virus w32.spybot.worm ..
    N as i have checked now in the nortan quarantine.. bling.exe is the file name for the virus w32.spybot.worm ..
    another thing , i wud like to notify is , wen i find for bling in the system registry (regedit) , it takes me to
    hkey local machine - system - controlset001 - services - plug and play-
    in tht the entry named description gets highlighted.. but there is nowhere written bling.
    n also..
    W32.Spybot.Worm is a detection for a family of worms that spreads using KaZaA file-sharing and mIRC. This worm can also spread to computers that are infected with common backdoor Trojan horses-----
    this is symantec response for w32.spybot.worm..
    ---- so guys plz inform me...bout the possible logic behind the cd rom comin out n goin in.. n ofcourse the sOlution...
    awaitIn for REply....
    dearLy..
    regards... :)
    ValentIno...

2. 4steve44

4steve44

You will have to use spellcheck and use somewhat proper english to get any help. I have no idea what you wrote in your thread :confused:

3. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Roughly translated:

He visited Kazaa, firewall deactivated, and picked up 2 variant trojans: w32.spybot.worm attached to a file and w32.spybot.worm implanted in the registry. Since he got them (and/or removed them), the CD-ROM drive ejects and closes at random...somehow.

Possibly.

4. 4steve44

4steve44

Thanks techkid, That makes much more sense :) I would run another scan to make sure all viruses are gone. Then run Adaware, SpyBot, Spywareblaster and Spyware Doctor to get rid off all spyware. Then startup in safe mode and run awhile to see if the problem still occurs. If it doesn't then restart in normal mode and run awhile to see if problem returns. If it does then I would pull the power from the drive and restart. At desktop plug power back into drive and restart. Hopefully after all that it will return to normal :D

5. 4steve44

4steve44

Oh and make sure the fire wall is turned back on

6. Valentino

Valentino Thread Starter

thank you steve, well i didn't do much ,just disabled the cable net lan connection , restarted my pc , enabled the connection again and ofcourse set the firewall on, and somehow the cd rom dance ( coming out and going in ) stopped..
    but the only problem now is, the cd rom button (manual button to eject) is of no use, its not working.. but the rom is ejecting on right clicking from My computer...

thanks for paying attention,
    CYa..

regards,
    Valentino...
    :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice