1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Cd-rom disappeared

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blakes7, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Hi! I have an athlon 3000+, asus a7n8x-x mobo, radeon 9200se, 1 gb ddr, wd 80 gb caviar, lite-on cd-rw. I put this system together to replace my current computer when it goes---it's 5 years old. It's been sitting for 5 months, except for a few times I've gone on-line to update windows xp pro and my anti-virus, avg. I fired it up to update, and happened to look in windows explorer, and no cd-rw appears. I went to device manager and saw a yellow check mark next to it. I went to properties and saw this in status---A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alterate device may be providing the functionality. (Code 32). I looked up code 32 at microsoft, after uninstalling the driver several times, rebooting, found new hardware, but same message in device manager, and it says the start type has been set to disabled in registry. It refers to the windows 2000 server resource kit on how to do this, but I just get a run-around in their documentation. What do I do in the registry, and how do I do it? I'm a novice in the registry, basically just know how to bring it up with regedit. Also, are their any ideas what caused this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Victor
    PS If this is a second post, it's because the first one seemed to time out.

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    If the CD rom shows up in bios you could just do a totally fresh install of WindowsXP and the Motherboard drivers. If as you say the only things you have one it are the OS and your antivirus, a little bit of time is all that is lost. and the registry should be correct when you are finished. Unless for some reason teh CDrom is not listed in the Bios at Boot up this should work.

3. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I was saving reinstall for the last resort. I'd like to find out what caused the setting to change in the registry. Thanks.
    Victor

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    This is usually fixed easily by this:

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
    "UpperFilters"=-
    "LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
    ------------------------------ Use text before this line --------------------------------

5. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Triple6, you're a genius. It worked perfectly. Do you have any idea what caused this to happen in the first place? Just for my own edification. Thanks, I greatly appreciate it.
    Victor

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Usually by software that has burning capability, CD burning programs, drive emulation software, or photo software with burn capability. That trick goes to Johnwill's credit, I always use to manually delete those keys before I got a hold of that registry file.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I happen to be lazy. :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!