1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD ROM does not play cds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by famousGino, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. famousGino

famousGino Thread Starter

Hiya
    My computer's CD ROM does not recognize CDs anymore. It only plays DVDs. I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem or there's something wrong with the OS, which is Win Me. I have a DVD/CD Re-writer combined drive, I don't know the name of the manufacturer. I ran a antivirus check and nothing came up. My computer is also slow sometimes, because of the amount of documents I have on the HDD (I think), which I cannot write onto a CD because of the above problem.
    Any ideas on what could be wrong?

2. eagle240

eagle240

there may be a number of problems. could be driver fault, right click on (my computer) from desktop and click on Device Manager tab and see if there are any (!) in yellow highlite next to you drive. if so try updating drivers.

3. dai

dai

try deleting it from the device manager and rebooting and let windows reinstall
    how full is your h/d

4. famousGino

famousGino Thread Starter

Thanx for replying
    I have checked the Device Manager and there are no yellow highlights anywhere in there. I have tried to update the driver anyway but it tells me that I already have the best driver.
    I also tried Dai's suggestion and I deleted it from the Device Manager and then rebooted but nothing happened. DVDs work but nothing else.
    The HDD is about 1/3 full but I don't think that is the problem although my computer is slow at times

5. dai

dai

what op sys

6. monster

monster

Hi, I have exactly the same problem. My drive is a Toshiba SD-R1002 and I am using WinME (I know its not very good). If any of you guys could help I too would appreciate it.

7. darkelf_18

darkelf_18

Hey famousGino, do you defrag your HD? If you defrag it once or twice a month it speeds the search time up. Do you have acsess to CDburner or a spare HD? Cause if you do I'd back up your HD and reformat it. I don't know if that will fix the cd problem( it might but I just don't know) but that will speed your PC up a bounch. Another thing I just thought of. Do you have any other CD/ROM drive you could swap with the one that doesn't work? It may be that there is something wrong with the MB.

8. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Let me guess...
    When you slip a CD in the tray,it spins up(you see the little indicator lighting up/flashing),but then it stops and nothing further occurs...

Does that sound about right?

I think I know what happened,but I will wait for your answer...

GwizJoe

9. dai

dai

10. monster

monster

Gwiz- yeah thats exactly right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11. Annorax

Annorax

Also, your lense might be dirty. Try dismanteling it and cleaning the lense with something like a Q-tip.

12. monster

monster

I tried cleaning with one of those lens cleaner CDs but it didn't make any difference. I'm not convinced its a lens problem as it is always the same CDs that it will or will not play.

13. dai

dai

are they original cd's or cdr or cdrw
    have you tried them on another drive
    run adaware and spybot to see if you have unwanted guests
    d/l belars advisor from
    www.belarc.com
    to pick up the drive manufacturer,then look for any firmware updates

14. GwizJoe

GwizJoe

Alrighty...,my thought on this is that a "File Association" conflict is occuring.This can happen any time new software is installed that has the ability to over-ride your previous choice of application.
    Anyone who has ever installed WindowsMedia Player has seen this.Any file that can be read by the player you had before will be associated with WM player,if it is made the default player for that media type(or any other that WM player can play).WindowsMedia player used to be a real bear to configure,but it has gotten better over the years.
    The File Association thing often occurs without your knowledge,or anyone asking.Programmers are generally pretty proud of their products and live their lives believing that their product is the best there is and you should always use their product to do anything,no matter what media it is designed to facilitate,or your intended use.
    An example of this is the developing team for 'PaintShop'.They believe that you should (and will) only need their program to do anything with any form of digital graphic media.Forget all that expensive Adobe software you have,or any other graphics tool,if you click on an image file,it should (and will) open with PaintShop..,period.Why would you ever want to use anything else...,right?

OK..,I feel better...,let's continue with the problem at hand.

First thing I'd do to check this would be to open "My Computer" and then right click on the drive that contains a pre-recorded music CD.In the drop down list click 'Explore',this will open an explorer window showing the files on the selected CD.
    Note the icon used for those files,does it look like anything you are familiar with for your playing of CDs?
    Now...,click (single left click) on one to highlight it.Does it read as a .cda file type?
    Try double clicking it...,does your choice of media player open the file and begin playing the song?

If you said "no" to any of those...,you got a conflict of interest in your file associations.To take that a step further,your burning software may not be able to recognise this new association,and thus won't rip-n-burn something it doesn't recognise.

I'll stop here...,and wait to hear more from you on this.Repairing associations is fairly easy,but sort of lengthy...

L8R,
    GwizJoe

15. monster

monster

I dont think its file associations. Media Player does still play CDs when they are recognised, and it is not only audio CDs which are not recognised. The disks work on other drives they are not scratched or dirty the problem is with both pre-recorded CDs and CDRs. The drive does tend to recognise CDRs which have already been written to but will not write to blank ones. When a CD which is not recognised is inserted the drive will begin to spin up and then stop. This process repeats a few times then the drive apprears to stop trying and the light stays at a constant green. When this happens i go to MY Computer and it just shows the drive as Compact disc (D:) as it does when no media is inserted. If I then double click the D: drive I get a message saying please insert a disc into drive D:. However when a disk is 'recognised' by the drive it appears to function completely as normal.

I have not tried the drive with CDRWs cause theyre too much effort/money.

What really bugs me about this problem is that many people have suggested to me that it is a hardware failure, yet it consistently works with particular disks and not others. It is not randomly intermittant which suggest that something is actively rejecting certain disks.

Thanks to everyone who has posted thus far- keep those good ideas coming.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163447

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice