1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-Rom Drive ahead of the HDD

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bsidhwaney, Jun 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bsidhwaney

bsidhwaney Thread Starter

Dear fellows:
    I have an older ( about 6 years) IBM Thinkpad 600X. I am trying to install MS Windows XP through CD-Rom over the Linux currently installed on the HDD. I have tried to make CD-Rom drive as a first boot drive, but haven't had any success. Please explain in a simple way:how to move CD-Rom Drive ahead of the HDD in the Bios. Thanks, brij.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

Most BIOS will start with a screen that has system information and tabs along the top . . generally General . . Advanced . . Boot . . Exit are then ones most common.

Click on the Boot and in the body of the screen you should see "Boot Order" or something like that. Usually, you can click on the first item and move it up or down to change the order the syatem will look for a bootable device.

Default usually is : First FDD (or Floppy)
    Second: HDD ( sometimes disc 0)
    Third: CD-ROM

You would click on CD-ROM and move it up with the + - keys or Page up/Page down.
    Then press F-10 to save and exit.

Hope this helps . . wrs

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/236883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice