1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM drive does not work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cédric, Feb 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cédric

Cédric Thread Starter

Hiya!

Got a problem with my CD-ROM drive. I inserted yesterday a split CD but of course realised too late this CD was actually broken. The result is the CD spinned dodgyly in the drive for several seconds and when I stopped all that mess, it was too late: now, the CD-ROM drive does not play CDs anymore even if I still can open or close it. It does not play audio CDs and does not launch CD-ROMs anymore. Does anyone know if my CD-ROM drive is totally ****ed up and good for the bin or is there is any hope?
    Thanks for your help
    Cedric

2. Cédric

Cédric Thread Starter

I must add I tried with CDs other than audio cds and it does not spin or launch the cd straight away. Yet, the CD icon appears and when clicking on it, the CD starts but there is no sound which is not the case if I play MP3 files for example.

3. n2gun

n2gun

If pieces got into the drive it probably knocked the lens out of alignment or damages something. Had one ruin a cd drive on me when it literally shattered in the drive.

4. Cédric

Cédric Thread Starter

Well, indeed, pieces got into the drive so the lens might be damaged! Meaning I got no other solution than buying a new one ?

5. n2gun

n2gun

Sorry but if it is damaged inside there is nothing you can do. It would probaby be best just to replace it.

6. Cédric

Cédric Thread Starter

I tried to play CDs using EasyCDCreator and the CD runs but there is no sound either. Don’t you think the problem may be somewhere else and the drive is not broken?

7. n2gun

n2gun

Put in a good cd and do an explore on it from My Computer. If it is not reading it then it most likely damaged.

8. Cédric

Cédric Thread Starter

Well, it does not recognize the CDs but the question was how can I be certain it is really damaged and not simply a disconnected cable or a configuration to reestablish? I mean, is there a way to be certain it’s good for garbage? I don’t see the point getting a new CD-ROM if this one is not damaged.

9. n2gun

n2gun

If it shows on the first screen when booting and in windows it should be working. See a disk broke in it the chances that it is broke are over 90 %.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice