1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Rom Drive Is Not Working On An Old HP Laptop w/Windows 7 Installed On It

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarcATL, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MarcATL

MarcATL Thread Starter

Hi guys,

Long time no see.

I have, well, my cousin has an old laptop that I tried reviving over a year ago and installed Windows 7 on it. From that point on quite a few of the main drivers stopped working.

Namely, the wireless and the CD ROM drive. So I couldn't access the net easily to try to find solutions/fixes nor could I start from scratch and put things back to the way they were with XP.

The Model is HP Pavilion ze5300...I real dinosaur.

I've attempted to fix it off and on, with months and months passing in-between that time.Yesterday I was doing some work at a church and had success so I felt encouraged to tackle the laptop in question once I got home.

I figured out, previously that it's the drivers, they don't seem to work or want to work w/Win 7. Last night I went to the site, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&os=228&product=420315, and installed or re-installed rather all the drivers minus the BIOS ones.

I don't know which one it was, but the CD-ROM drive was recognizable by the time I was done. I felt sucessful so I then had to get things back to what they were, which is to put it back to original specs, Windows XP Home Edition, the key is on the sticker at the back of the laptop.

So I shut down the machine and went to the torrents to find a couple ISOs of XP. I also decided this might be a good time to experiment with the latest Ubuntu, since I have a laptop that I can mess with and then wipe and re-install XP if I don't like the new Ubuntu or it doesn't work with the laptop.

I got all that, burned them, 5 different XP's, in case either of them doesn't work and one bootable CD of Ubuntu 11.10.

The problem is, when I finally got back to power up the darn laptop, the problem returned, the CD-ROM's not recognizing anything, not working at all.

I tried to re-install the drivers, but it didn't work. I'm stumped.

Any of you gurus can get to the bottom of this mystery? I'd suffice for a way to install any OS via USB if you think that will work. I have a 16GB USB and about 5 other 1s and 2s GB around somehwere.

Long post, I know, but I like to give the full story.

Thanks for any and all feedback on this.

2. MarcATL

MarcATL Thread Starter

Also, separate and aside from the above. Any recommendations of software, utiltities, CDs that's good/best for wiping drives?

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I would suggest that you get a valid copy of windows xp home which is what the computer came with and use the COA product key thats on there.I dont think the cd drive is the problem. I think using torrents might be causing the problem.There are no legal and legit free downloads of any windows operating systems except in very rare cases.Legit downloads have to be paid for plain and simple.Torrents can have viruses, spyware, and other things in addition to not being legal and not even being a complete program of what you tried to download and that might be why the cd drive isnt reading the cds you made.More than likely the torrents arent even in any kind of a bootable format.As far as wiping the drive theres dban and many others. Ive used a program thats totally free called harddrive eraser and it works just fine.

4. MarcATL

MarcATL Thread Starter

SUEOHIO...the torrents don't as yet have a chance to affect my situation.

Nothing's working currently with or without the XP disks...any suggestions?

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Then i would have to say theres a problem with the cd drive and it might have to be replaced.But again im sure the torrents are doing any good either and just might be causing additional problems for you that you dont need.The cd drive issue has to be taken care of first and then hopefully you can use a proper copy of xp and start all over again with a clean reinstall.Older computers in a lot of cases cant run windows 7 properly because they dont have enough ram to do so.

6. MarcATL

MarcATL Thread Starter

Thanks,

It's doing some weird things now.

Being able to read -CDs but not the +CDs.

Also, it doesn't seem to be reading the -CDs consistently.

Weird.

It was a long shot anyway, the laptop is old and I was simply trying to resurrect it.

Thanks again SUEOHIO.

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    You are very welcome.Im sure you can still use it if you can get the cd drive replaced. They dont cost that much to do so.Then you can put windows xp back in it and unless other things have gone wrong you should be good to go.If a computer is old unless the motherboard, screen, or power supply goes they can be used and enjoyed for a very long time.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice