CD-Rom drive messed up?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ace_Mak

My CD-ROM drive seems kind of messed up. It just won't open. I press the button to eject but it won't open. Then I restart it and it opens. Then the next day again it won't open. I restart the computer and it still won't open. So now I'm stuck with a closed CD-Rom drive. Is it because it's kinda hot so it won't open or something cause I don't know whats wrong.

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
It may the first sign that it's going bad...sad to say, about the only thing you can try is shutting down system...carefully,so you remember how the cables go on...unhook one end at a time, put them back on. Do this for both ends. Restart computer. You have to put them back on the same way they were. There are usually no drivers for CD rom to get "lost"- they either work or they dont. They can become lost to BIOS- but thats a different thing... at startup, does the CD drive show on the first screen as either an ATAPI CDROM, CDRW, whatever it is? Hit the pause key to freeze the screen...then any key to continue....
I had one like this, given to me for the problem....I took it apart, messed with the tray setup, gears, etc...it worked for a very short time, then started doing this same thing, I cannot trust it anymore, so i dont use it. CDROMs very inexpensive now, would probably be a good idea to hunt for some bargains...CDRW or regular.

The other symptom is when it does open, it wont read any cd's, and makes a heck of a noise...grinding, like it cant start up right.

A dodgy install of packet writing software can sometimes cause this type of problem. Are you using Roxio's DirectCD or Ahead Nero's InCD?

Ace_Mak

Hmm.....interesting but I'll have to think about taking everything apart or whatever. I may just get a new drive instead but thanks a lot for all the information :).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online