1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd rom drive not responding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ixianrobodude, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ixianrobodude

ixianrobodude Thread Starter

hi - I have a computer with a mitsumi CD rom drive. I tried stupidly to put a dvd into thinking it would work...haha...it didn't...worse off i re-booted the pc with the dvd in it....ever since the drive didn't work....i tried swapping the drive with another that i know works (its also a mitsumi) and that doesn't work either...The device manager in windows shows the cd-rom drive but says it is not ready to work...i figured it might be drivers but when i tried downloading them windows said the best driver is already installed...i dont know - im stuck....When i click the my computer icon the D:/ drive is not listed...help!

tom
    [email protected]

2. JerryM

JerryM

Your halfway there..

Try this.. First off, go to device manager, and remove the offiending piece that is not working.

Delete ... Once that is done, reboot, and when you get back into windows the find new hardware will go looking for the drivers for your CD drive. if you can point it to the new device drivers.

3. slipe

slipe

If you remove a CD-ROM drive in device manager, Windows will reinstall everything it needs on reboot without any intervention on your part.

Did you move the jumpers on one of the drives. The DVD probably came jumpered as master and the CD-ROM should have also been master if it was by itself on the secondary. You have to change one of them to slave.

4. JerryM

JerryM

Slipe, just curious, did you read what was written above...?

They installed a DVD cd into a CD Rom that was not setup for it.

I do not know how it messed it up, but that drive bay no longer functions, but as you and I both said, deleting the drive in the Device manager reinstalls automatically on rebootup.

5. ixianrobodude

Ok I tried the above tips and the D:\ folder reappeard - I guess windows saw the drive ok...but now the drive doesnt read correctly!! when i try to access certain folders i get a meassage saying it doesnt exist!! huh? On device manager there is a yellow mark next to cd-rom drives - something about code 10 or something - driver problem??? well i try to use drivers and they dont seem to do anything at all!! Could this be a driver prob and if so how come when i try and install them nothing happens any different?

6. slipe

slipe

You might try just removing it again in device manager. Shut down completely for a few minutes. Boot and see if it comes back.

If that doesn’t work you’ll have to do it the hard way:
    Remove the CD-ROM in device manager.
    Shut down.
    Pull the IDE cable from the drive.
    Boot without the drive.
    Shut down and plug it back in.
    Boot and it will detect the drive and load new drivers for it.

JerryM: I guess I skimmed it too fast. You told ixianrobodude to point the drive to the new device drivers – have you ever done that? It seems he is trying your advice and I’ve never seen a CD-ROM load that way.

7. JerryM

JerryM

Go to the
    Driver Guide
    http://www.driverguide.com/

The user name is drivers
    password is all

Next what you do is look for the drivers for a Mitsumi cd drive.
    Look up on item CD Drives
    Then manufacturer Mitsumi

They will have a listing of drivers for your particular Cd drive.

Try to install the drivers from them.

If this does not work...

You can try to boot from a floppy boot disk, and then reinstall
    Windows. When you reinstall windows in this fashion, This builds and resets your drivers...

Depending on OS, you may have to resort to minor tricks for a clean install.

#1 eliminate Windows.com
    #2 Eliminate C:\Windows

One or the other. All of your programs will still be there, but you will have to reinstall them when you are done. But you will not lose any of your data for them either.

8. ixianrobodude

ok i will try to reboot and all...by the way when i put a regular CD in it, it plays with no problem and it does read the directories for the CD-ROMS too....just doesn't see the folders which it says are there!!! weird

9. ixianrobodude

ok i removed cd-rom from the device manager, unplugged the ide cable, rebooted, shut down, and rebooted with ide cable back in - and nothing happened - as a matter of fact there was no cd-rom listed in device manager ...so i guess windows didnt see the cd-rom this time...but strangley enough i could still pull up the cd-rom directory without any cd-rom drivers listed in the device manager....i tried to add them manually by going to control panel.....it seemed to do it but when i looked at the device manager the yellow exlamation was back saying there was something wrong!!! well anyway if i was to try and reinstall windows...how do i do that exactly without deleting what i have on my hard drive?

10. JerryM

JerryM

#1 make or get a boot floppy for your specific OS.

#2 Copy additional files to the Diskette from the C:\Windows\Command fodler before booting to the Floppy

#2a Deltree.exe and copy this directly to the floppy.

#3 Reboot using the floppy.

#4 From the DOS Prompt you will have the following message and then entries.
    #4a A:\{Enter}c: {Return}
    #4b C:\{Enter}deltree C:\Windows {Return}

#4c Go take a L.O.N.G. break... This is going to take while..
    #5 After it has finished...finally... reboot with the floppy again, no reason for it, but it does clean out the variables.. Just simply reboot, do NOT remove the floppy.

#6 At the a prompt do the following A:\{Enter}d: {Return} Because D was the drive that the boot floppy said was located your CD drive.

#7 C:\{Enter}Setup {Return}

This will run scandisk, of which it will find an error in the file allocation table, just have it correct it, do not save the info, it is deleted.
    When this has been completed, then install how you want it, but when you have completed, all of your data files will still be there, BUT you will have to reinstall the programs.

11. Raphael

Raphael

JerryM,

I'm just trying to understand your instructions. Why do you have to copy deltree.exe to the floppy? Or did I misunderstand you?

12. JerryM

JerryM

Because, it makes it easier to have it ('deltree') in that location..
    If you have problems, and have to do it a 2d time, then you know where it is located.

It is a more or less standard tool working in Dos.
    Instead of having to delete all the files in a folder, and then repeat for each folder all the way out the chain, you can use it for a one time shot and get rid of a major folder. Windows is a major folder. You will be putting things right back in, in just a few minutes after completion, just make certain you also have all your access info to the internet written down, or put in a place where you can get at it.

Also motherboard configuration disk (if any), Video card configuration disks (if any), modem configuration disk (if any), etc. etc. etc.

Have all that setting to your elbow where you can grab it when Windows is installing and asks for those things, If it does then you are ready.

After the final isntalation window, then start with the disks not used, video, motherboard, modem, sound, etc. etc.
    Install all those things then see how it runs.

13. ixianrobodude

well i reinstalled windows and everything seems to be working AOK.....I was curious about how to get the data files back? I doesn't really matter that much since there was nothing important on the PC...just wondering....thanks alot!

14. JerryM

JerryM

ixianrobodude, I never really worry about finding the lost data. Basically when you do this, it is gone. something in the data. or the config of windows caused your problem.
    What is needed is for you to try to buy a cheap CD writer. and about once a month write on a CD RW all of your back up data, in addtiion to whatever programs you install that you enjoy, but do NOt have copies of elsewhere.

You are probably tired of hearing the old axiom, if it is important to you, then save it on backup...

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66443

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice