CD Rom drive not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

liveroni

Hi there,
My CD Rom is not working, it cannot read any discs. My device manager reads two Disk Drives. see pic below, should I delete one ?

1622740194232.png

Neither of those is a CD-ROM drive. They are:

Kingston 240GB A400 SATA 3 2.5" Internal SSD (Solid State Drive)
Seagate 1TB ST1000DM003 SATA 3 3.5" Internal HDD (Hard Disk Drive)

respectively.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The DVD/CD-ROM Drives entry in your Device Manager window is completely missing.
That means no disc drive is connected or is being detected by the Windows operating system.
Have you checked inside the case to make sure the power and data cables are securely connected to the disc drive and to the motherboard?

-------------------------------------------------

plodr

Liz
If you had hardware present, this is what you would see in Device Manager, an entry that said DVD/CD-ROM drives
Capture1.JPG

crjdriver

Open the case and reseat both pw and data cables. Be sure they are fully seated. A very quick and easy test is to attempt to boot the system with a bootable CD or DVD [if your drive reads both] If the system will not boot with a bootable disk, you know the drive has failed. CD/DVD burners are very cheap; usually approx $20 at the egg.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
My CD Rom is not working, it cannot read any discs.
If your disc drive is actually a CD-ROM model, it's very old and should be replaced anyway.
Modern disc drives have the ability to read and write to both CD's and DVD's.
And as crjdriver already told you, they are now very cheap.

-------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online