1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

cd-rom drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dell01, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dell01

dell01 Thread Starter

please help.. my daughter was playing one of her cd games.. when she was finished she pushed the button to release the tray/cd and all that happens is flashing light.. it will not release. we tryed to push a small object into the small hole on the front but nothing... only the flashing light. can anyone help us. thansk..

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Restart the computer and attempt to open the cd drive while the computer is restarting.

3. $teve

$teve

putting the pin in the hole on the drive should have worked. Try it with the PC off if it still won't come open it would suggest to me the drive tray is stuck......my son caught his buner drawer with his knee....(you know how they tend to leave it open:rolleyes:)
    unfortunately i had to ditch the thing.
    hope this helps;)

4. n2gun

n2gun

I have had mine do that and if I reboot it opens. Just a thought. Also if you try to open with a pin in small hole it is best to turn off the computer first.

5. dell01

dell01 Thread Starter

all these suggestions and nothing seems to be working. i would love to try opening this tray. when the computer is off its really off and nothing is running so i don,t understand how i,m suppose to be able to open it. i,m really lost..?

6. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi dell01

You need to push a long object like an unbent paperclip in the small hole in the front of the cdrom. That will mechanically release the cd. No electricity needed.

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If it's really stuck, and the manual unlatch doesn't work, your only option is to take the cover off and fetch the CD that way. I've had a couple that hung up and couldn't be disassembled, that's how I fixed them.

8. dell01

dell01 Thread Starter

i,m going to try taking that top off. and if i can,t see what the problem is i sure hope someone at staples can help. i also heard that i can just buy a new drive. it justs connects and plugs into the computer some how so i may look into that also.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can indeed install a new CD, no software changes should be required. Since they're selling for $19 shipped on Pricewatch, it's not too difficult a choice. :)

10. dell01

dell01 Thread Starter

does anyone out thereknow if computers have a built in command buried inside the computer to tell it to open the drive tray??

11. n2gun

n2gun

Windows has a command in My Computer. You right click on the drive and click eject. Seeing you can't get it to open any other way I doubt very much if this will open it.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116103

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice