1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM Driver - Code 31

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richardd, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richardd

richardd Thread Starter

Am running windows 2000. I attempted to add a USB CD-RW this week. Install did not work. Now, my DVD-ROM gives the following error in the device manager.

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

I have uninstalled the device and rebooted. Windows sees it, but always reinstalls with the same error above. Drivers listed are cdrom.sys, redbook.sys, and storprop.dll.

Toshiba tech notes show this DVD-Rom works with standard Win2000 atapi drivers. Tried a SFC from the command prompt, but that required Win2000 CD.

Other tid bits...my USB Zip 250 used to be drive e: (with DVD-Rom being d:). Now the zip is d:.

2. jmatt

jmatt

DRIVER error codes: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q125/1/74.asp

Code 31 (new in Windows 98)
    This device is not working properly because <device> is not working properly. (Code 31) To view the properties for <device> and see why it is not working, click Properties where <device> is the dependent device that must be fixed in order for this device to work properly.

This code appears when a device is dependent on another device to be functioning correctly. This does not include devices that are enumerated by the parent device.

The Properties button displays the properties for the other device. More than likely, the other device will also have one of these Device Manager error codes. Follow all the recommended solutions. If the devices still do not work, remove them from Device Manager and use the Add New Hardware wizard to redetect them. Finally, consult with the hardware manufacturer for updated drivers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66539

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice