1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM driver downloads

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Timbersnake, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timbersnake

Timbersnake Thread Starter

Hi,
    Ive just installed a CD RW/DVD ROM player drive. However, I dont actually have the driver for it!

Ive heard you can download these from the internet, but i cant find the sites? I need to download the driver so the computer understands it has a new CD Rom drvie!!

Its a HP CD RW/DVD ROM drive (48x) model number GCC-4481B. Any ideas guys?? Anyone got any idea where to get the drivers from??

Cheers, Justin

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    www.hp.com prehaps? :D

Click here for a list of models with the information you gave me. Click on the model that you have.

3. Timbersnake

I tried HP, but all they have is a firmware update. no actual driver

4. norton850

norton850

You may not need an additional driver from what Windows provides. What problem are you having?

5. Timbersnake

well, it plays the cd's ok and can read them. I havnt tried DVD function yeT as i havnt got windvd or anything like that. However, when i try to copy a file onto the disc, it just wont have any of it. The previous drive was a hp one, but just a cd reader, not CD RW. I think the pc is confused and still believes its operating a cd reader, not CD RW!!

6. Timbersnake

ok, ive just used windows media player to burn a track onto a blank disc, and it worked!! So i know the drive is functioning properly. But maybe its windows?

Lets say i try to copy some pictures onto a disc. You would go into my document/my pictures/ and then highlight the picture/s or folder u want to copy. Then under 'picture tasks' according to windows, it should say 'copy to cd' or 'copy all to cd'. But it doesnt??

Also, the temporary folder where files are stored to burn onto a cd doesnt appear (cant find it?)
    So basically we have established the cd drive actually works as it reads discs and burns music via media player 10. But i cannot copy files onto cd with it??

Im using XP Pro

Any suggestions on that??

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I'd say to get a CD burning program for it. Windows burning feature leaves allot to be desired. I use Nero but there are plenty of others. There are even some free burners but I have never tried any of them.

Somebody will be able to inform you about one that works though.

8. Timbersnake

Fantastic adive, of which i took u up on!! I downloaded a freeware cd burner called cdburner xp pro. Perfect and very impressed. does the job.

Incase anyone needs to know, heres the link for the free burner -
    http://www.cdburnerxp.se/download.php?latest

So, problem solved, I thank you!!

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I was going to suggest them, it's a neat program.

There is a setting that you could check to make sure that the CD player is set to be the recorder. I don't know the proper saying, cause I'm in school but I will be home in a few minutes so I will let you know.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    PS WMP should be able to play DVDs so you can test it on there.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Here is what i was talking about. go to my computer and right click on hte CD drive and click properties. On the top right, there should be a recording tab. click that and make sure that the boxes like in the picture are checked

Attached Files:

12. Timbersnake

HI, checked the properties on the cdrw, all looks as above?? Anyway, I tested the dvd in wmp and its says it cannot play as there is no dvd decoder installed?? wonder where i get one of them??!!

13. Timbersnake

found one called cliprex, seem to work well. alls good, comrade stalin salutes u

14. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I was going to suggest the K-Lite Codec Pack from www.free-codecs.com but it looks like you got what you need. The K-Lite will have more codecs for other files too so if WMP or anything else says it needs a codec, that's what you need.

For the second one, the CD-Drive icon is the temp folder. When you drag a file into it, it will say Files are ready to be copied / burned. Then you go into the drive icon and then click on burn to a cd on the top left.

For the first one, is the arrows on the left pointing up or down? if down click on that on the TASK section and it should be there.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/331267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice