1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD ROM drives not showing up!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Deznuts, Dec 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Deznuts

Deznuts Thread Starter

I'm working on a machine currently that is running win98SE. I have overlayed the OS on it to fix some Dll errors and I have gone into msconfig and shut off all the unwanted programs.

I go into bios and it shows both of the drives are there, but when the computer boots up neither one of the drives show up under my computer.

I can go into device manager and both of the drives are there but I just cant use them. Its really annoying and I was looking for anyone's info on the matter. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

In device manager, does the secondary IDE controller appear? Does it have an exclamation mark? Have you reinstalled the motherboard drivers?

3. Deznuts

Deznuts Thread Starter

Acacandy,

Yes both of the primary and secondary ide controller are installed correctly. I'm thinking that maybe there is some key in the registry that is gone/corrupted/turned off etc.. that is causing this. Oh and more to the story.

The computer first came into the shop with both drives on the secondary ide channel. I wanted to eliminate the idea that maybe the secondary ide channel was bad so I moved one of the drives over to the primary ide channel with the hard drive and still it doesnt show up. The jumpers are set correctly as well. I've also tried new ribbon cables and still nothing.

4. ~Candy~

Right click on my computer, properties, performance. What does it show there? Optimal?

5. Deznuts

Deznuts Thread Starter

Yes it is set to optimal performance. I think there is something deep seated in the OS that can be causing this consider what I mentioned earlier.

I figure if the hard drive shows up under my computer on IDE1 and I move a drive over as a slave on IDE1 and it still doesnt show removes the idea of a bad ide controller bus. I tried to do a "fdisk /mbr" to possibly fix a boot record error but to no avail this did not fix the problem.

Starting to think that a format c: /q is coming up.

6. ~Candy~

If that is an option, it results in having more hair left at the end :D

I'm wondering if there isn't something like last drive equals X loading via autoexec.bat and/or config.sys?

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/188508

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice