1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-ROM Drives problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjbyyz, Apr 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Have had two CD-ROM drives hooked into a desktop computer for a while but only one seems to be detected.
    Physically, they are both on the same ribbon connector running to a single slot on the m/b. Unlike two Hard Drives, one of which is selected as Slave in a similar hook-up, I don't think this can be done with two CD-ROMs.

What would happen if I hooked the second CD-ROM up to the Hard Drive's ribbon? Is this an option?

mjbyyz (John B) - 100428-00:42EDT

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

CD/DVDs can and DO have Master/Slave jumpers. Look at the drives from the back.

::| ::::::::::::::....... ::::
    That is Master. Slave is the jumper on the middle pins

:|: :::::::...:::::

3. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Dave: Thanks for the info - I shall go and have a squint at the backs and see what I can find. I can't say I noticed any pins when I hooked them up a while ago.
    So, if this is the case, will they operate just like HDs? One being a master and the other a slave?
    Keep tuned and I'll let you know what I find.
    mjbyyz(John B) - 100428-21:18EDT

4. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Dave: Up-date!
    Yes, both those CD-ROMs have jumpers, and I have made one of them a Slave and all is now well!
    THANK YOU!
    [My next chore is to see if I can record from one to the other!!!!]

Since you were able to help me on this, could you advise me on Multiple Monitors? See my other thread with that title, under Hardware.

mjbyyz(John B) - 100428 - 23:02EDT

5. DaveBurnett

Just to update you on data transfer between IDE devices (disks as well as CD/DVDs).
    It is not a good idea to transfer data from one device to another device on the SAME IDE CABLE as it has to wait for the data to travel one way before it can be sent back again to the other device.
    If you do it to another controller(cable) the transfers can and do happen simultaneously an a hell of a lot faster.
    I have two IDE disks and two DVDs and I have the disks as Primary and Secondary Masters with the DVDs as Slaves. That way I can always do transfers from one controller to the other.

6. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

Dave:
    So, if I couple up one HD with one CD-ROM (and make the latter a Slave) and similarly the second CD-ROM/DVD Slave to the second HD, using two sets of ribbons, this will work?
    Actually, I only have one HD installed on this PC, and a removable slot for the second HD to be inserted as required. Again, is this OK?

mjbyyz(John B) - 100429-22:29EDT

7. DaveBurnett

Yes that is the way I do it.
    Use the newer DVD on its own as you are more likely to be using that to copy to the disk/install stuff from CD/DVD

8. mjbyyz

mjbyyz Thread Starter

OK, Dave, I will try that, pairing up the DVD with the removeable HD slot, since I seldom use that.
    Thanks a lot.
    [If it doesn't work, I'll get back to you!!!!]
    mjbyyz(John B) - 100430-11:18EDT

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/919707

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice