1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD-Rom/DVD Combo ....

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MeinDCIC, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MeinDCIC

MeinDCIC Thread Starter

Odd thing - My DVD/CD combo drive on my Toshiba laptop was working fine at the begining of the month. I tried it today and nothing - I put a disk in and I hear the head moving and the light flickers, but when I try to access it or open a dvd or music program they all say No Disk. I removed the drive and rebooted - the same thing. Another odd ting I noticed was that XP's restore feature has no restore points - which it odd - in the past it has automaticlly done this and now nothing. Not sure that the two are related but wamted to add that if to see if other people are having the same problem.

2. deHakkelaar

deHakkelaar

Do you still have a drive letter for the CDROM eg D: E: F: ?

Are you able to make a DOS boot floppy disk with these files unpacked & boot from it ?
    The OAKCDROM.SYS in config.sys is a general cdrom driver suited for a lot of cdrom drives.
    If you're able to read CDROM's now , you know its not a hardware failure.

3. MeinDCIC

MeinDCIC Thread Starter

Well the problem is that it is a laptop so no floppy! The drive shows up - but it shows up as two drives - D and E - I think this is because I have a software program (called Region Free) that lets me play DVD regardless of the region. When I put in a CD or DVD the light comes on but than nothing happens - I used to get a autorun menu now nothing. Even if I try to open my DVD or Music matach software - it says no disk. Odd!!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222607

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice