CD-ROM & external CD-RW drives

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pjerimiahb

The CD-Rom will recognise CD programs but will not recognise any (even quality brands)Blank disks ! ....? Have external CD-RW drive which works most of the time. Disconnected external drive completely and Internal CD Drive would still not recognise Blank Disks. .........Pjerimiahb

what operating system and what program is involved?

how do you mean recognize?

does the drive say no disk inserted when you try to burn to it?

a burning program will show if blank media is inserted
a cdr disc. does it show that?

if it is cdrw then it behaves differently depending on
your operating system and media involved. some rw
media is preformatted and usable in your file manager
immediately. if that is not the case then you need to
format the rw media with the cdrw program to use
it like a giant floppy.

using cdrw media is different then cdr media. the program
to use cdrw media may be totally separate from the program to
use cdr media.

pjerimiahb

My operating system is Windows XP. The external RW drive is a Iomega HOTBURN Pro predator for burning disks. . I also use a ONES (Optical new edge storage ) program for copying disks and dragging and copying files to CDs. Any time I put a blank R (or RW)disk in the CD Rom i get an error message saying please enter a message "Please put a blank disk in drive", when I open the blank disc I get the same message.....pjerimiahb

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Download the Nero Info Tool from Nero Tools Download, run it and post a screen shot of the Drive tab here. Put a blank CD in the drive for the test. Here's a sample of what it should look like.

Attachments

pjerimiahb

Followed your instuctions and have the info on my screen but don't know how to add it to the thread to send with this thread ........apologies from an intermediate 79 year old novice...pjerimiab

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
That appears to be a plain CD-ROM drive, perhaps that's why it doesn't recognize CD-R/RW blank disks. :) Why are you putting blank media in a drive that can't write to them?

pjerimiahb

John; Thanks for bearing with me. With your help and the help of the computer guy from my son' business I have a different understanding of the Drives. He is going to install an internal CD-RW/DVD drive to replace my CD-Rom which will complement my external DD-RW drive. Once again thanks for tolerating me and wasting your time... pjerimiahb

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
However Nero Info Tool actually tells you exactly what you have.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online