1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CD Rom for notebook

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dog_noy, May 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog_noy

dog_noy Thread Starter

I have a dell inspiron 4000 notebook that has no CD Rom drive and no floppy drive, I plan to buy a external CD Rom to use with ny notebook but some question arise, (1) if I format my hardrive and install a new OS before the OS is install would the computer recognized my external CD Rom? (2) If I can't use my CD Rom then would it better to buy an hard drive adapter to hook it up to my desktop PC and format the notebook hard drive and install the OS from that machine( ONLY THE OS NOT THE DRIVER FOR ANY EQUIPMENT)

2. active95

active95

1. Since the external cd rom device would probably be a parallel port or USB kind, the computer will not see it before you install the OS
    2.No . Hooking up the laptop hdd and formated, it's ok no problem there, but once you install the OS on it , the OS will try to install the drivers for whatever the hardware is inside the PC. For instance , let's say that the laptop has a Intel chipset , and the desktop has a VIA chipset, well the OS will try to install the drivers for the VIA and you need the Intel ones..
    Best you can do is to make sure that the cd rom driver that you will buy cames with DOS drivers . Then format the hard drive on the laptop ( using the desktop machine ) and install the cd rom DOS drivers on it. Then hook up the hard drive back to the laptop and connect the cd rom drive. Boot up and you should have access to the cd rom drive at that point.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/80270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice