cd rom inop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

eskimo990

I'm trying to "clean up" my MIL's Win95 computer but the cdrom doesn't read any disks - data or music. I've cleaned it. The device manager says it's OK. I tried to access the cdrom by using a boot disk and was successful in getting the computer to see the drive, but it still did not read a disk.

During boot-up, there isn't a drive shown as primary or slave either.

Am I missing something or do I just need a new drive?

TIA,
Rick

If it is not showing during boot, check the bios to make sure it is turned on. Try booting with a bootdisk (you will need a win 98 bootdisk with cd support) and see if you can read it then.

eskimo990

I used a boot disk with cd support. Everything loaded and checked OK except that when I tried to read the directory of the cd, I just got the error message that the drive isn't ready so I think the cd isn't reading it. I was able to change to the "D" drive DOS prompt, but could not read the directory.

The BIOS, regrettably, is password protected and nobody knows the password. Any ideas on getting around that?

Thanks,
Rick:confused:

From what you have said so far. It looks like the drive is bad. The best thing i can say it double check your connections and make sure the drive is set to slave if its connected on the same cable as the hard drive.

As for the password protection problem. The easiest way would be to pull out the cmos battery. If you dont know what it looks like. It looks like a watch battery on the motherboard. Pull it out for 10-15 mins and pop it back in. you'll then be able to get into your bios settings.

First when you booted with the boot disk, it would have moved thee cd up one letter (ie d: to e:) because a windows boot disk loads what is called ram drive in memory as d:

If you have the manual for the motherboard or can get it off the net there is a jumper to clear the bios also. Then you would not need to remove the battery to clear the bios password.

eskimo990

I have already checked and reset all of the connectors so I know they are good. Nothing on the computer - hardware or system software - had been changed prior to the cd failure.

I found the MB manual and located the reset jumper. I also found the original driver installation disk. It is using Award Flash BIOS ver. 1, but I'm going to search for an updated version before getting into the hardware again.

I knew you guys would have the answer. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online